July 23, 2008

Remember that garden thing I used to do?

Sadly because of the new business venture and all of the life that’s been going on lately I haven’t spent nearly as much time in my garden as previous years. Parts of it are looking really sad… But I still have some pretty pictures to share:
garden july 2008
Tomatoes – I just have to make sure pick them before Dexter does!


garden july 2008
Zinnias – grown from seed. They are finally, finally starting to look good!


garden july 2008
Sunflowers – the chipmunks didn’t get them this year!


garden july 2008
Dahlias – I can’t wait for these to bloom. Partially because I forget what color I bought.


garden july 2008
Coneflowers – these are growing in the no man’s land on the side of my house by my neighbor’s drive. So are these:
garden july 2008
No idea what they are, though. Just that they are pretty and low maintenance.


garden july 2008
Cilantro – also grown from seed. I’ve given up the dream here and just let it bolt. It will reseed itself and in a week or so I’ll have more usable cilantro.


garden july 2008
Lily – So when this bloomed I though - I’ve never seen these before in my life. And then I checked the blog for garden pics from last year and lo and behold it did bloom last year! Crazy, that.


garden july 2008
Cosmos – grown from seed. I actually bought one of the seed packets when I was in San Antonio. They are super-special Texas Cosmos. Or something like that.


garden july 2008
Rose of Sharon – I have a giant bush of this flower – I love it. Pink and red? Perfect combo for me. And it goes particularly well with the cosmos growing next to it!

Really everything I grew from seed/tuber is rocking it and everything I planted – like the inpatients and peppers – looks pretty sad and pathetic. I’m not sure why this is but I’m guessing it has to do with my less-than-perfect watering habits. Hmmmm….

Knitting content to return, triumphantly, tomorrow!

10 comments:

  1. I can't seem to grow cilantro for the life of me - either burns up or rapidly goes to flower and seed - tried again this year, but next I think I'll switch to dill - I don't use as much and love the way it smells while it's growing!

    zinnias are such a sweet flower - wish I had remembered to plant my seeds, do you think it's too late?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:43 PM

    LOL - What is with these little dogs and their love of tomatoes?

    Lovely pictures, though. I'm getting jealous - between my mum, you, and Kim there it seems like everyone I know who gardens has sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:50 PM

    Pretty garden. Give your tomato stakes a little giggle so they get happy and make more tomatoes. Seriously. I've got wee cherrys already. Mostly green, but as they turn red I'm hyped to pick 'em. Where are we going on the next yarn destination? Gotta hint or 2?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the garden is gorgeous. Mine is very sadly neglected. In fact, I've taken to telling people that I'm trying to grow a weed patch and herbs keep popping up in it!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:25 AM

    Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty flowers! I can't wait to see how your dahlias bloom.

    Aaaaaand we'll be adding "I Have a Giant Bush of this Flower" to the Horny Melon Flesh song list...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure how it's been for you, but the weather for me has been less than helpful this year (too hot too early, too wet early on and then a week with no rain, and finally torrential rains this week). I wish my tomatoes were as far along as yours are.

    I've had some pretty good success in the past starting impatiens from seed. I think you need to leave them on top of the flat because they need light to germinate. I've taken the easy way out for the last couple of years and gotten plants. But they also self-seed, and I have lots of volunteers from last year. I just love bursting those seed pods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:06 AM

    Gorgeous pictures! I can't grow cilantro at all - looks good for a little bit and then just burns out. I currently have four sticks sticking up out of the soil - I can't admit they died!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how do you have all this time? I'm jealous! I can't seem to get anything accomplished lately!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome pics as usual!

    we decided to try our hand at pumpkins and tomatoes this year. both are growing, but then i learned that i shouldn't have planted the edibles next to my 100 yr old house cuz the soil is probably contaminated w/ lead, so i've been calling them my lead tomatoes and probably won't get to eat any. boo! at least we should have some kick @$$ pumpkins for halloween :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...