August 1, 2006

A recipe and a story.

So Sunday morning I went out and worked in my garden and was super-excited b/c I had an entire bunch of cherry tomatoes that were finally ready to be picked….Well when I went back in the afternoon to pick them for lunch half of the bunch was gone. GONE. It was sad but I moved on. Other than that my garden had been good to me...

It surprised me with 3 ginormous cucumbers:

The Salsa garden continues to thrive:

My sunflowers are finally starting to look like sunflowers and maybe are even growing an actual flower:

The impatiens have grown so large that they have completely overtaken the lights that we put in:

And I still had enough ripe tomatoes to make "tomato deliciousness" for lunch:

Life was good.

Well then last night I got home, let the little dog out, and stopped inside to check the mail before going out back to water the veggies – as is my routine every day – and I see this:

Dexter! what are you chewing on….you’re not eating grass again are you….wait… is that a tomato?!!
I caught him red handed. Apparently rat terriers like cherry tomatoes.

So anyways… here’s the "recipe" for tomato deliciousness:

  • 1 bunch cherry tomatoes (or half a bunch if your dog is a vegan)
  • 1 package fresh mozzerella – I bought this at Giant Eagle but it’s much, much better if you get it from Galucci’s – just make sure you get the fresh stuff…
  • Fresh Basil to taste – I used a lot b/c my basil plants are threatening to take over my back yard.
  • Fresh Parsley to taste – I used a little b/c my parsley plant is pathetic– it has been completely crowded out by the tomatoes.
  • Balsamic Vinegar (red wine vinegar works well, too but I like the balsamic/basil combo)
  • Ground pepper to taste.
  • 1 little tiny glug of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Chop up the cheese into big hunks, halve the cherry tomatoes, chop up the basil & parsley, and combine everything. Let it sit for a little while before eating - just make sure your dog can't get to it!

4 comments:

  1. omg - that looks DELISH and i will be making it very soon! just too bad i have to buy it all from the store :(
    thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny. I don't think I've ever seen a dog eating cherry tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a dog on my flyball team that has to be pottied on a leash during strawberry season. ;) Good thing I don't have yard or garden - my lab would be FAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:11 PM

    Too funny about your dog! What a little stinker. And Tomato Deliciousness is aptly named. It looks exactly that... delicious(ness)!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...