June 15, 2007

San Antonio Sucks.

They suck big. I hate them right now. Don’t they realize how big a championship would be for our city? Don’t they know that it’s our turn? That it’s our time? That we all are witness?

I don’t think they got that memo.

Here’s lots of proof of their suckiness that I collected while at the AIA convention there back in early May:

San Antonio Botanical Gardens:
AIA Convention

AIA Convention

The Alamo:
AIA Convention
AIA Convention

The “River” walk. I put river in quotations because to a Cleveland girl this is not a river:
AIA Convention
This is a drainage ditch with umbrellas around it. It’s literally 3-5’ deep, and the only “traffic” on it is tourist “barges” like this one:
AIA Convention

No freighters, no rowing club, no pleasure cruisers, no fireboats, no tugs, no fishing boats, no dredging boat… and once a year they drain it and bulldoze the bottom. So not a river. It is pretty, though:
AIA Convention
Wait no, I mean they suck. A lot. Hate them.

And their claim that each concrete room of this hotel was lifted into place complete with furniture:
AIA Convention

And their Texas Ice Houses:
AIA Convention

And their random fountains:
AIA Convention
And the very pretty Mission San Jose:
AIA Convention
AIA Convention

AIA Convention
AIA Convention
AIA Convention

Actually most of this isn’t even original to the mission – it was rebuilt as a WPA project back in the 1930’s – which even though they got a lot wrong when they rebuilt it and pretty much made stuff up as they went along which is like the biggest no-no in preservation. But it is now protected as much as a WPA site as it is a Mission. I think Preservation politics like that are very interesting…aaaanayways…

Speaking of politics check out the crowd that was lined up to hear Al Gore (the keynote speaker for the convention) speak:
AIA Convention
I was at the front of the line so I scored 3rd row center seats! This is how close I was to the podium he stood at:
AIA Convention
Can’t get anymore rockstar than that! I was too nervous to take pictures during his speech b/c they were strictly forbidden and I didn’t want to get kicked out. Luckily the guy sitting directly in front of me was a little more of a rebel. I gave him my card and he emailed me this:
AIA Convention
Awesome!

So yeah. San Antionio Sucks…..But there’s always next year, right?

13 comments:

  1. honey,
    i can feel your pain!!! we in buffalo know the utter heartbrache of losing! let's talk about 4 superbowls and two stanley cup playoffs ending in loserdom! i feel for ya! i really do!
    i think that is more like a creek or a canal...do they really refer to that as a "river?" hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:59 PM

    Yeah they do, but they have nice buildings. C'est la vie.. don't worry the Cavs will be back! I *heart* Al Gore too. I wish he would RUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've still got the "Cleveland Rocks" song...

    And I trust you realize how much strength of character it takes for a Cinci girl to console a Cleveland one, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, it's been long nights here too - in stereo!
    The tribe on one computer, the cavs on another.
    As I was asleep last night when the game ended, all I heard as my husband got into bed was... "poor cavs...maybe net year..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:16 PM

    You crack me up! I've never been to San Antonio or Cleveland so I'll just side with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree ... as a Cleveland girl who used to live in DC, that is *not* a river. The Cuyahoga is a river. The Potomac is a river. *That* is a ditch.

    Bitter much, Laura? Ha!

    Actually, I am remaining philosophical about the Cavs. This was their "learning year." Next year, we're kicking butt and taking names.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, you need a picture of the Cleveland Botanical Gardens. For comparison purposes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is sad, but nothing getting lost in a great knitting project won't cure...there's always the Indians!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We hates the Spurs... took our precssssssiousss!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes San Antonio does suck! I thought for sure they'd pull out Thurs. night! We watched the game in Vegas. It was sad but gues what...they stayed within the spread so even though Cleveland lost..they won us $160 bucks!!! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ditto, ditto, and triple ditto.

    I would have loved to see them lose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. well, take it from a Red Sox fan... there is always next year! I'm sure San antonio does suck, but those are nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:29 AM

    Ha...that's funny. My husband has said the same thing about that
    "river".

    Ours is much cooler. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...