June 22, 2007

Dream Big.

Ok so I know the “big thing in August” suspense has been killing you… and I’m really kindof thrilled that you guys think I’m capable of running a marathon or doing a triathlon…but that’s not it…

And I’m not planning on having any kids then either…

Instead I’m doing this:


On August 31 Matt and I are leaving for a 17 day backpacking trip to Peru.

I don’t know how to explain how big this thing is for us. To put it in perspective: Since we’ve known each other we’ve lived in Copenhagen and back packed through Europe, we’ve lived in San Francisco and driven across the country twice, we’ve been to the Caribbean and Skiing in Colorado, and we’ve traveled all over the country visiting friends.

But none of that was Peru. Not even close.

Peru is somewhere we independently dreamed of going before we even knew each other. We both did reports on Peru when we were little and thought to ourselves – “someday I’m going to go there.” And way back when (1998 was along time ago) – before we were dating when we were just starting to become friends – we found this out. I mean how many people out there both really want to go to the same random South American country? So we said half-jokingly that someday we would go together.

Someday is 10 weeks from today.

We’re using every drop of vacation time that we have, plus the Labor Day holiday to be able to do this. And we’ve been saving for it for over 2 years. This is our dream trip. It’s huge and exciting and more than a little terrifying.

And have you ever noticed how many yarns are made in Peru?

16 comments:

  1. How totally fun for you!!! And you are right...there is an awful lot of yarn from Peru...I'm sure you'll take some "stash enhancement" funds and an extra bag to cary it in!!! Looking forward to the report and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Hmmm... wonder where my dream trip would take me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:32 PM

    Peru was a similar dream of mine, and you will not be disappointed. Are you planning on going to Cuzco/Macchu Picchu only? If you are heading to Arequipa, there's a great yarn outlet on the outskirts of town- it took some searching out, but it was well worth it and made me regret that I was "backpacking" rather than carrying a large, empty suitcase. I didn't have as much success finding much yarn in Cuzco, although they do have some really impressive knits to buy (I highly recommend their double-knit hats). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! How exciting!!! Sound like you will have a FABULOUS time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting!! I'm so happy you get to do something you've thought about for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:26 PM

    That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:52 AM

    How very awesome! What a fantastic trip that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for you, girlie - I'm so excited for you guys! Can't wait to see all the pics and all the yarn you bring back in that backpack of yours : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:30 PM

    wow that is some trip! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! How exciting for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:23 AM

    I'm jealous! What a special trip. Just don't take the bag that Cameron Diaz took with her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:27 PM

    Very cool!! I am going to South America in March, but won't get to go to Peru. Look forward to seeing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! I can't wait to hear all about this! My boss just came back from Peru and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You guys will have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so fantastic!!!

    Mu husband and I also made a big trip like that for our honeymoon - which was about 1.5 years after we were married - we went to the Falkland Islands!

    (heh heh heh my husband wrote a report on Vasco da Gama when he was in primary school - and that was one of the first things he told me when we met - because I'm Portuguese)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband and I went to Peru and Chile last August. In Arequipa, Peru we had the opportunity to visit a yarn factory. Other than Machu Picchu, which was AMAZING, it was one of my absolute favorite parts of the trip. A free, several hour long, personal tour of everything and the time at the yarn outlet. I brought an extra suitcase just for the yarn - bought something like 70-80 balls of yarn, mostly alpaca, for $40. If you think you might be able to get down there, send me an email and I can give you some details. Without a doubt it will be a trip of a lifetime as Machu Picchu is indescribable and the pics don't do it justice. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...