July 2, 2008

Blogging the Bus

So yeah. A lot of people are talking about taking the bus right now. Even the local news (of course I couldn’t find the link). Which – dude- how suburban has Cleveland become that a bus ride is the lead story on the news? I mean really now. It’s just not that big of a thing. But I guess some people have never been on a bus, huh. Crazy that. I can’t even imagine – so many of my life experiences just wouldn’t have happened if I was afraid of public transportation. Like living in Copenhagen or traveling through Europe or living in San Francisco. One of the reasons we bought the house we did was that I could take the bus to work….

Anyways! Since I’ve been hearing so much about it how about some pictures of my commute. These were taken with my cell phone from the Shoreway:
Cell phone bus pic

Cell phone bus pic

I actually tried to write this post a few times but just wound up sounding bitter. Over the years I’ve gotten a lot of crap for my choice. Hell even just that – people assume I take the bus because we couldn’t afford any other option. So not true. We have two cars, parking is cheap, and gas used to be cheap. But I’d much rather take the RTA. It’s not dirty or smelly or awful. I never have to wait more than 15 min for my bus to come (and that’s only if I juuust miss the previous bus. Usually I wait less than a min. Once you have the timing down it’s just not a problem anymore.) I never have to worry about strangers accosting me. I’ve never, ever, ever felt even a little unsafe. In fact the worst thing that has ever happened to me on a Cleveland bus was when I dropped a double pointed needle and couldn’t find it anywhere. Tragic, I know.
Cell phone bus pic
So right now – with gas prices where they are and the same people who used to look down on me now asking me how I do it – I kindof want to do a little “I told you so!” dance. But that would be wrong. So instead I’ll leave you with this advice that I keep repeating to all of these people:

Ride the bus. It’s just not that big of a deal.
(and you can knit during your commute!)

10 comments:

  1. Shoot I wish riding the bus was a choice for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could commute and DO something with that 1/2 hour drive each way... unfortunately nothern colorado isn't designed to connect cities... I drive the interstate every day!

    I, however, am with you and would have been all along, if it was possible... public trans is AWESEOM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go ahead and do the I Told You So dance - you deserve to!!!! Pea has been taking the train to work for a couple of years - the traffic here is terrible, but most people just sit in it anyway. The train is so much better - faster and he gets to read on his commute instead of sit in bumper to bumper traffic. And yes, now that gas is soaring, he said the train is getting more and more crowded!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa kids--people were nasty to you for riding the bus! thought even though you were both educated professionals that you couldn't afford to drive yourself? wtf? shameful. you are having the last laugh. fck em. you are in fact, laughing all the way to the bank. i have been riding p-trans since i was like 11 years old! p-trans is my best friend! i spend less in a month to go to and from work than my co-workers do to in gas in just one week. i can see how you were getting bitter writing it.

    looks like an interesting ride. i love that you bought the house so you could bus. awesomeness. as if i didn't already love your house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. or read a book or take a nap or just watch all the silly people. I agree! good public transportation totally rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only ever taken a bus once, and it was in Cleveland! Go figure. It wasn't that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:45 PM

    Wow -- great pictures with your phone and through a window on a moving bus! That's some phone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I moved from NYC to the 'burbs, I missed not having good bus/subway service. I got the same reaction, though, as you do because I got a fuel-efficient Civic (which is now 10 years old, and still gets 27 miles/gallon). When I said that the fuel efficiency is what attracted me to the car, people looked amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish the public transportation system in Toledo worked better for me. It would take me 2 hours to get to work using our bus system. ACK!!!! I can drive in 17 min.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I didn't work from home, I'd be aaaallll over public transportation right now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...