July 11, 2008

#6 Tuscany

So for the Tuscany colorway I started with my memory and worked backwards. I remembered Tuscany as being very golden – gold light, gold fields, gold stucco on the buildings. But when I looked through my photographs most of them were more green and gray:
Devil's Bridge
Devil’s Bridge

Pieve
Me with a school in Pieve di Monti di Villa that I decided that one day I would buy and restore. Since I was there in 2001 someone has done just that – now it’s a hostel for bikers. How fun would a Tuscan bike trip be?! Perhaps someday…


Church
Church where my great-grandmother was baptized

Pieve
Just a pretty street

So I started to think that it was just my warped memory – something about the sunlight there that makes the place just feel gold. I even made a flickr mosaic of Tuscany pictures to prove to myself I wasn’t crazy:
My creation

1. PIeve di San Giovanni Decollato, 2. Torre tarugi, 3. Tuscany Italy, 4. Tuscany house, 5. Side street, Pienza, Tuscany, September 2006, 6. Tuscany : Villa il Lecchio after the rain, 7. rooftops of Castello Vicchiomaggio Tuscany, 8. Tuscany Italy, 9. Tuscany : Vignale apartment Pinot Bianco 2007, 10. Val d'Orcia, Tuscany, 11. Tuscany colors - Val d-Orcia, 12. pienza door, tuscany

But then dug out the album from when I went to Italy with a group the summer between high-school and college and found these:

Tuscany in 1998
Tuscany in 1998

That is how I picture Tuscany. And that is how I dyed the yarn:
Tuscany
Tuscany
Which is now available at Destination Yarn. And since I’m posting Tuscan pictures I had to include this one:

The Group
Us at Pieve, September, 2001

So while Matt and I were doing the backpacking through Europe thing after our quarter abroad the plan was always for me to meet up with my grandparents in Italy and travel with them. That way they could introduce me to relatives and show me the places that I’m from. Well I got to the train station where I was supposed to meet them and my mom was there too! And so was my brother! And then my aunt and uncle and cousins appeared at the hotel! It was one of the best surprises ever. And how cool to be able to do a trip like that as a family....

Have a great weekend everyone!

13 comments:

  1. lovely inspiration - i'd say you captured tuscany perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!!! The picts and the yarn that is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yarn is so gorgeous - and I'm so jealous that you got to go to Italy and see all the places your family came from. I long to do that one day. My grandfather came over when he was a young boy (maybe 5 or so) and I'd love to go back and see where he was born.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...so we have heritage in common! My mother was born and raised in Italia, though farter south than yours. We are from Petrella, outside of Campobasso.

    ReplyDelete
  5. errrm.."farther," that is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to hop on a plane right. now. *envy*

    Love this new colorway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors are a perfect memory of Tuscany!!

    And what a great surprise from the family!!

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:56 AM

    Love this colorway! And what a great surprise from your family....

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story to tie to the yarn! The colors are beautiful - so rich! My brother lived in Tuscany for a year - he loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! And you sure are one talented lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! And you sure are one talented lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Tuscany yarn I'd say is a 100%success. I love it!!

    What an amazing trip to have been able to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how cool is your family! that is an AMAZING surprise!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...