January 16, 2007

Thuja almost kneesocks – at last.

So while taking my little hiatus from the world I also finished my Thuja almost kneesocks. They made their debut at Christmas Eve dinner and kept my feet nice and toasty on Christmas Morning.


The specifics:
Pattern: Thuja from Knitty
Modifications: Um, yeah. I completely reworked the pattern to be toe up, then I knit it on size 1 needles – casing on 64 stitches. I knit it with a heel flap, and added shaping to the calf.

Yarn: Lorna’s Laces Shepard Sock in the Desert Flower colorway – two skeins with almost nothing left over.
Needles: size 1 brittany, birch, and addi DPN’s
Timeline: Not really sure – these were not even close to a monogamous knit so they took a long time. They were very, very worth it though! I absolutely love them. I’m actually wearing them now….They are so comphy – and that they are tall helps keep my legs warm while waiting for the bus!

Actually now that winter has decided to happen I’m wearing my few pairs of hand knit socks as much as possible. It’s amazing the difference in overall comfort level that good socks can make. I work in a very, very drafty office and my feet always freeze. Not while wearing handknit socks! And without the cold feet the rest of me isn’t cold at all. Problem solved! I’m a complete sock convert now. I want to have enough pairs so that I never have to have cold feet again…Which means I have a lot of knitting to do!

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:39 PM

    They came out great!!! Ah ha, you're hooked on sock knitting now too!!! You'll be surprised at how quickly your stack of hand-knit socks will grow in your sock drawer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:50 PM

    They look great! Gotta love Lornas Laces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:14 PM

    Woooh, that is the coolest increase I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warm feet - you're really trying to convince me to make some socks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the socks! I too am amazed at how much better the hand knits fit!! They don't seem to spin around on me feet like store bought ones do and they are warm too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome socks! That's my knitting goal this year... learn to knit socks. Of course, I'm *never* cold, so I can't relate to the cold feet thing. Glad your toesies are warm now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:44 PM

    Super cute! I know what you mean about wanting to have enough handknit socks to last you, that is one of my goals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:38 AM

    Very, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:34 PM

    I just love the socks. They look great!!! I see that you got the knit picks options for Christmas, how do you like them so far?

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cute... i love the calf shaping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:10 AM

    They're fabulous! Love the colours, love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:22 AM

    Tres Chic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the knee socks look fab, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...