February 10, 2007

Updates

So I just wanted to update all of you friends, family, and knitbloggers out there who have been so supportive and concerned about me - you guys are amazing:

Yesterday, at the suggestion of the Urgent Care Doctor, I went to see an Orthopedic Doctor. And the good news is my bones are fine. I have no stress fractures or breaks or anything like that at all. Also, I probably do not have a sprained ankle – because sprained ankles involve your ligaments (something I totally didn’t know. Learn something new every day) and my pain isn’t in places that seem to be involving my ligaments. Anyways the bad news is that I have torn the tendon that goes from my ankle along the outside of my foot under the bone that bumps out on my ankle and connects to the bottom of my foot. Which sounds a lot worse than it is – basically he said that it’s probably lots of little mini tears. Yeah I’m real up on the medical jargon…. So because it was torn while my foot was twisting, I have to try to prevent my foot from twisting side to side. He said he could give me a boot thing to keep me from twisting it but because my pain isn’t that bad (I rated it as a 4 out of 10) he doesn’t think it’s necessary at this time. Instead I just have to continue to stay off of it and take these ginormous prescription anti-inflammatory drugs, and wait it out. If it’s not completely better in 2 weeks than he said I “definitely need to come back”. So let’s hope it’s better in 2 weeks!

Thanks again, everyone, for all of you kind words. It’s so nice to know that there are so many people out there who care about me!

12 comments:

  1. How awful! I hope things improve by week 2. Be careful not to let it twist as you sleep. I rolls all over the place, and that definitely wouldn't work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care, knit a lot, and I hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take you anti-infammatories and keep the leg elevated. Have your knitting basket and your favorite snack close by and let the ankle heal and enjoy some quality knitting time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:55 PM

    Drugs are wonderful but definately rest that leg! I learned that lesson not too long ago from back surgery! Rest if very important. Knitting is good and watch a ton of movies... I registered with Netflix and boy was it a Godsend. The movies come to ya right in the mail. Take care of yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this sure sounds unpleasant, but it doesn't sound like bad news. So I guess that's not so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well then I guess you have a couple weeks to knit and relax! Take it easy - hope your foot is all better in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, so here comes the nurse in Knittingnurse. . . .
    So, besides the antiinflammatory medications you ARE #1)Keeping your foot elevated at all times and #2)wearing a brace or an ace wrap to support your ankle (less chance of further 'twisting') - correct?

    If not, please do as you will increase your chances of healing in the given 2 week period.

    Try to stay off it as much as you can also, kay?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:34 PM

    I find it rather horrifying that you were that badly misdiagnosed the first time. Was the first doctor moonlighting from Target or something? What if it had been something life threatening? Anyway, hopefully this is the correct diagnosis as well as treatment this time around. Ask Matt if he remembers when Dave "sprained" his Achilles tendon. He was in plaster FOR AN ENTIRE SUMMER, so don't trivialize your injury. Take it easy and tell Matt to take care of you for awhile. The therapist in me says err on the side of caution. It 's probably a good idea to wear the gel cast when you're at risk--walking or unconscious (i.e. asleep)
    Ahem....is your foot up as you sit here at the computer???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:16 PM

    Doesn't sound like much fun :-( Hope your ankle is feeling much better in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I'm glad to hear it's not fractured and sprained after all - but it sounds like it's just as important to stay off of it. :( Get lots of rest, do lots of knitting, and heal up!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:59 PM

    Thanks for the update, Jeanne - I am glad it doesn't sound quite as bad as it previously did (but still am scratching my head at the misdiagnosis.) Do lots of knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh you poor thing. Hopefully it will be two weeks and they will fly by!

    Thanks for your offer of suggestions on Cleveland. I think I'll take you up on it. My husband is from Cleveland (Shaker Heights), but we always end up going to the same places - we go at least once a year! :-)

    Do you know any yarn or bead stores? (We'll have a car) And on a design / architecture side - what do you recommend? We know the university area with the Botanical Gardens, the Art Museum and the Gehry building.

    Thank you and feel better (I am sick today too, with the flu and just managed now to drag myself from the couch!)

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...