April 19, 2007

Knitters Fantasy

So the Knitters Fantasy was awesome...

I started the day by leaving a note on my husbands wallet reading “I stole your cash for yarn.” He was amused by it but claims that I’m not a true addict because I ‘fessed up to my thieving ways....heh.

I donated a few baby hats to their caps for kids program:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
And my mom donated a pile of kids’ hats: Everything was really, really well run… I even won a door prize!! Check it out:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet

That’s 1 skein of Lorna’s Laces Swirl DK and a pattern for a pair of armwarmers to go with it. I think I might make it into a modification of fetching, though… or perhaps just a scarf…ooooh maybe a branching out?
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
I took two classes but I’ll post about each on it’s own….

And then market… oh the market… I’d never been to a fiber market before… Holy sensory overload Batman! Each booth had something cooler and shinier than the next. So at serious risk of spending my grocery money on yarn I stuck to these rules:

  1. I only would buy yarn that I couldn’t get anywhere else (it would be silly to buy lamb’s pride when there was local spun/dyed/raised yarn to be had)

  2. I would only use cash and therefore stick to a budget

  3. I wanted to buy some fabulous sock yarn because after I finish the socks I’m working on I will be out of sock yarn (except for 2 skeins of gray wildfoote that totally don’t count b/c sockyarn should be more fun than just gray)

So based on that I came away with only 2 skeins. This beautiful 100% superwash merino sock yarn:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Which is from Autumn House Farm and reminds me of fall.

And this amazingly soft 100% alpaca from Moonlight Alpacas:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet

Which is fiber from this guy (pic from their website):

Isn't he cute! The yarn was hand painted by his owner who was very nice and happy to tell me all about her yarn. It also came with a pattern for a simple, dropped stitch scarf which should be a perfect way to show off the colors…
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
My mom was much less restrained, though. She bought a kit for a 100% cashmere scarf. Total luxury but totally worth it.

All in all it was a wonderful day!

8 comments:

  1. Not sure if I should thank you or curse you for that Autumn House link. Moonlight Alpacas will be at the Upper Valley festival on the 28th so I'll see their stuff in person then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO wish I could have swung going. . . . . .>big, big pouty face<

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are out of sock yarn? And you only bought two skeins??? You are one strong girl! :) You chose very well though, those two are beauties. Can't wait to hear about the classes.

    PS: Dreaming about your mom's cashmere scarf kit too!! Ooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gold and purple colors in the sock yarn are aboslutely beautiful. I'll have to keep your rules in mind when I go to some upcoming sheep&wool festivals. Cash only is a good policy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:35 AM

    Do you know about the Great Lakes Fiber Show the Saturday and Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend (5/26 - 5/27) in Wooster? Lots of great vendors, especially ones who do their own dying, spinning, etc.

    You can go to http://www.lovellservices.com/GLFS/index.htm for info, including a list of vendors.

    I was also at Knitter's Fantasy. We seem to be at the same places (e.g., Yarn Harlot book signing) but don't seem to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:25 PM

    Wow, you did great at the KF. The moonlight alpaca is awesome I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That door prize yarn looks gorgeous! You totally deserve it for all those hats! They're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. woohoo on winning and that llama is the cutest thing ever! i was cracking up about the note to matt - i'm sure he loved that haha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...