April 30, 2007

It’s outdated but it’s Knitting related!

(dude did I just rhyme? Awesome.)

So since we were both starting to twitch a little from internet withdrawal my husband dusted off his “diesel” (he nicknamed his computer that during college b/c of the noise it makes) and hooked it up. It’s slow - like used to be windows 98 slow. But we’re connected! And I can even post pictures! And internet!!!

Anyway I have a huge backlog of knitting things and pictures and stuff to post … but I’ll start with this post that I wrote about 5 min before my hard drive died but never had a chance to upload photos for:

Knitters Fantasy Part Deux

The first class I took was a beginner spinning class:


Spinning is so fun!!!! Seriously fun. I just have to pre-draft everything and then I’m much better at it… That and remember pinch, slide, pull… pinch, slide, pull…The instructor even let me spin some Alpaca. Mmmm alpaca…And by the end of the 2 hour class I had almost a full bobbin of yarn! It’s not amazing yarn but it’s getting better.

Here are some pictures of my finished skein after my grandma showed me how to ply it:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Photo Hosted at Buzznet

It almost looks like legitimate yarn in some places!

The other class that I took was for a Slipped Stitch Hat.
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
It turned out ok, I think… not really my style but not horrible like I though it might about half way through… The hat was knit from the top down and used the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of increasing to get a nice round hat…which I also learned in this class. The fun part, though, was that between each section of increases we could try out a different slipped stitch pattern.
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Slipped stitch patterns Rule. It’s a way for someone who sucks at colorwork (ahem) to make interesting patterns w/o having to knit with 2 colors at once.

I used a simple garter slip pattern at the top and then a Garter Chain pattern:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Some houndstooth:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
And a 3 color to finish it off:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
I may not ever knit a hat like this again… but I know I will use the slipped stitch patterns!

Lots more knitting posts to come….probably momentarily. The Cavs game is on and this is good to do while watching that... GO CAVS!

2 comments:

  1. woohoo for spinning your own yarn and the hat's cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't pooh-pooh pre-drafting. I pre-draft almost everything. And your first spinning looks way better than mine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...