May 12, 2008

Traveling Monkey Socks

So how about another unblogged/unfinished sock project – and quite possibly the best socks I’ve ever knit….

The Traveling Monkey Socks:
Monkey Socks

I love these socks. Like more than a person should love a pair of socks love them.
Monkey Socks
Monkey Socks

I knit them mainly during my trip to Peru and had planned on blogging them as I blogged the trip. But since that still hasn’t happened well… how about a shot of them on the train from Cusco to Puno:
traveling sock

They are the Monkey pattern from Knitty (here on Ravelry and here's my project page) knit out of Cider Moon Blizzard in the colorway June Carter.
Monkey Socks
So the combo of them being traveling socks on a once in a lifetime trip plus being knit out of discontinued yarn means they are super, super rare socks indeed. And possibly too good for every day use. So they sat finished at the bottom of my knitting basket waiting for a special enough occasion for their debut.
Monkey Socks

But that’s crazy. They are beautiful. And I deserve to wear super-rare socks even if it’s not a special occasion. So I wore them for the first time on Friday and loved every minute of it.

Monkey Socks

(btw Cleveland? Just a little note here… after spring comes summer. Not fall. And most definitely not winter. Not that I don’t appreciate the extra time to wear wool socks but we’re getting to mid-May now… so… you seem to be a bit confused.)

Monkey Socks
And with that I’m off. Tomorrow morning I leave for Boston for a work convention and won’t be back until Sunday. Should be funtimes… and hopefully I’ll get a chance to meet up with some other knitters while I’m there!

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:09 PM

    They're beautiful socks. Love(1). Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love those traveling monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those are gorgeous -- what a wonderful matching of yarn and pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some very special socks!!
    Can't wait to hear about Peru!

    Hopefully when you come back Cleveland will know it is spring.

    That is one thing I don't miss about living in the midwest anymore! ;op

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are awesome. I could see why you would want to save them for Special Occasion Wear, but I'm glad you didn't. They are too good to be tucked away in the knitting basket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous!!! I still have a skein of Blizzard tucked away here waiting for a special day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Perfect socks! They make me want to put that pattern at the top of my queue.

    Have fun in Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boston's a great town, have fun!

    I feel the same way about my Monkeys, I should knit a pair for a loved one so that they can experience the joy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:25 PM

    Another wonderful pair! I love Boston. Have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're gorgeous! That colorway really does remind me of June Carter, too! Well, what I know of her from "Walk the Line" anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look so nice, and I love the colorway. I almost feel as if I'm the only knitter who doesn't have a pair of those socks. But I have the pattern printed so that status may not last long.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun socks!

    Have fun in Boston!

    If ya need cool weather to where your socks, take a detour through northern Colorado/Southern Wyoming... we'll do the trick for ya! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:44 PM

    Those are gorgeous socks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply fantastic! I didn't know that that yarn had been discontinued...*panic sets in*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I KNEW that was Cider Moon!! And I just cast on for my first pair of Monkeys this week. How cool. Yours are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really late to this post, but I wanted to say that the socks turned out absolutely gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. my pc is on the fritz, so i'm totally out of the blog-reading world, but it's cooperating today and i just had to say that i LOVE LOVE LOVE the monkey socks!!! u def need the clear boots to show them off :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. yes you are right most definitely the best socks ever.... can I put in an order?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...