May 8, 2008

Cleaning out the Socks

So in preparation for Sumer of Socks 2008 I’m cleaning out all of the sock parts that have been dead at the bottom of my knitting basket. First up?

The Details Socks:
Details Socks
I started these during last summer of socks as a design problem. Basically I was going to knit this guy sock pattern out of a book and the ribbing and the sock body totally and completely didn’t match or work together in any way. And that pist me off. If I’m going to pay for a pattern I’d like at least a little thought to have gone into it. So I ripped that out and decided to design my own with the utmost attention to detail.
Details Socks
The ultimate goal was to write up the pattern and offer it to you guys for free. So these socks have sat finished in the knitting basket for months now waiting for that to happen. Honestly though? It’s not going to. I’m just not 100% happy with the design.

I do love how the ribbing flows into the braided cable:
Details Socks
And how the cables look on the side of the foot:
Details Socks
I even like how the cable becomes the decreases for the toe:
Details Socks
But the part that was supposed to make the sock came out complete crap. The transition between the two cables:
Details Socks
Yeah. Just a big old tranny mess.
Details Socks
The braid turns into the purl part instead of flowing down the heel like I wanted… it just didn’t work out at all. But that’s ok. Not all designs can be winners. Matt loves them, though because they remind him of kilt socks.
Details Socks
I think another issue I have with actually finishing socks is that taking beautiful photographs of your own feet is not easy. Even taking ones where the knit looks good is difficult. I always end up with a lot of weird crops like this:
Details Socks
Not so good.

Plus these are gray and about a million sizes too big for me – making my little photoshoot doubly hard. I probably could have waited for Matt to help but with 2 teams in the playoffs and a new GTA game his evenings are booked solid. Heh.
Details Socks
Anyone have any good tips on sock photography?

7 comments:

  1. Sock blockers. That's my solution! heh. Or get someone else to shoot it for you. I think the socks look great! I'm sorry you aren't happy with them, but they still look cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:52 PM

    I don't know - I like the pattern and the pictures! Very nice socks - and I'd be very happy if you wrote up the pattern...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - what intricate socks - they knock my socks right off!

    shooting socks does present a photographic challenge... especially if one is both model and photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:59 AM

    Very cute socks! I have one that I need to finish, too.

    So you're gonna be in Boston?? For a week?? We should totally meet up! I still have yet to go to any Boston yarn shops since I've moved back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sock pic method involves yoga, pilates, and a lot of contortionist twisting and bending. Then Advil afterwards.

    Sorry you're not happy with how they turned out. I think they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:35 AM

    Sock blockers - chappys on ebay (Chappys Fiber Arts & Crafts) has some nice woody ones with cute cut outs.

    Love the gray color. Socks on me brain too. ugh.

    Ravelry people are meeting at the GL Fiber show. 2pm Food Vendors area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:24 PM

    I love these socks! Beautiful yarn, beautiful color, beautiful pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...