May 6, 2008

Derby!

First of all I know something very sad happened at the Derby – but I didn’t really see any of it. It’s a horrible thing but that’s all I really have to say about it…

So anyways - we decided to join a group of our friends on a trek to the Kentucky Derby this weekend. It was a super last minute decision that resulted in this conversation:

My brother: Hey what are you guys up to tonight? Want to go out for happy hour?
Matt: Um… we’re in a VW bus on our way to the Kentucky Derby.

Yup. We borrowed a Vanagon. A full on 1991 setup complete with the pop up tent and stove. Very pimpin’.
Driving down in the Vanagon
The guys in the front of the Vanagon

Ohio Sunset
Sunset over Southern Ohio

Anyways we stayed with some of our friends in Cincinnati and then headed down to Kentucky on Sat. morning. We had to get there early so that we could tailgate here all day:
The derby parkinglot
As is Derby tradition.

Btw. 2 vans and a canopy? Best tailgate plan ever.
Tailgate Setup
Playing football

Eventually, though we had to pack up and head into the event:
Taking down the canopy
How many advanced college degrees does it take to take down a canopy? Add some liquor and the answer is one more than we had.

The infield is crazy. Lots ‘n lots ‘n lots of people.
Kentucky Derby
And even more Mint Juleps:
extreme closeup

So very good. I took a sip and said “That feels amazing.” Matt was all what? Feels? Don’t you mean tastes? Clearly with the amount of bourbon in them "feels" was the right description.
extreme closeup
Mmmmmm….

Then we stood in line to place our bets:
us with our mint juleps waiting to place our bets

And picked up another set of Juleps on the way back to the fence:
mint juleps

This, btw, was our view of the race:
our view of the track
So yeah… no horse pictures in this post.

Still watching the race was crazy exciting:
Matts watching the race
Matts watching the race
Matts watching the race
But sadly none of our picks won. Which I really should have known better – if given the choice always bet on the woman.

From there we waded through the crowds back to the vans to sober up for the drive to Cincy:
the walk out
Which clearly involved a bit of dancing.
dancing at the vans
And that was pretty much it. I do have a video of a drunken Matt ranting about the quality (or lack thereof) of Cincinnati pizza options… but I’m not allowed to post it on the internets. So how a group shot instead:
Group Shot
Lots of knitting content soon… I can’t wait to show you guys what I’ve been working on!

10 comments:

  1. I definitely need to get down there someday for the Derby. It's been a quasi-holiday in our house for my entire life. I didn't have any of my dad's mint juleps, because the way hi likes to make them, they're all bourbon. Like you could get drunk off the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a great time! I would definitely want to tailgate with you.=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:41 PM

    Looks like a good time was had by all! The last mint julep I had put me under the table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is so sad about eight belles.

    the weather was perfect. sounds like a fine time....so are you going to start a commemorative derby glass collection? I have a friend from kentucky derby country who has lived in seattle for 20 years but and for 20 years he's been going to aderby party in the san francisco area where everyone gets a derby glass as a keepsake... we went one year w/ him ....it was a kick!

    vanagon....there's a flash to the past! we had a 1975 vw van - loved it....great for camping

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:31 AM

    Hey, I was there, too! What a fantastic experience. Who knew I liked bourbon?! Not me. And, the six hour car ride was excellent knitting time. Are you going to Great Lakes Fiber Festival this year?

    ReplyDelete
  6. But...that's exactly what YouTube is for! So people like you can post videos of people like Matt doing things they can't remember so people like me can mock them incessantly for the rest of their lives! Maybe if you explain it to him like that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you all had great fun at the derby. Love the group shot in front of the port o' potties...classy! LOL!

    About navajo plying, it isn't too hard, I think it sounds more complicated than it is. When I learned I used commercial yarn at first just so I wasn't potentially wrecking my good stuff. If you need any pointers feel free to ask my way.

    And about the lazy kate. I made one out of a giant granola box from Sam's Club and old metal knitting needles. I will post a pic of it on my blog sometime this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. umm, Matt how can you complain about Cincinnati pizza options!!!? Adriaticos, yummmy, I'll tell you about crappy pizza options. The best thing in LA is Papa Johns. And the derby sounded like a blast! Glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like funtimes were had by all, and the mint juleps...yum-0!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like you had a fabulous time - yummy mint juleps!! I love that the group shot is in front of the porta-potties. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...