October 5, 2007

Mmmm....Cake.

My mom’s birthday was yesterday and my dad asked if I would make a cake….So Carolyn (my bro’s girlfriend) and I decided that clearly we needed to make an Almond Torte with a chocolate ganache glaze. Clearly.

The actual cake baking was easy…. Well until I tasted the batter. Not. Good. We figured out that my plan to just ignore the Orange Liquor in the recipe was a bad one. I assumed it was just a little bit for flavor but no… it called for a quarter cup. So on the fly we substituted Absolut Razpberi – the closest thing I had on hand. And anything is better with a little Razz. We were concerned but it ended up being the Best Idea Ever. The cake came out so very delicious and raspberry-y:
Almond Raspberry Torte
Mmmmmm layers.

So then we used homemade raspberry jam: (my mom and I made it a few weeks ago it from fresh raspberries we picked here. For me raspberry picking at Rosby’s is synonymous with Cleveland in the fall) for a filling:
Almond Raspberry Torte
Mmmmm Homemade Raspberry Jam

The cake at this point was finished according to the recipe… but we wanted to turn it up a notch…and nothing is tastier on a cake than Chocolate Ganache. Also? It’s the messiest thing ever. But after figuring out that we needed to put the cake on a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet to catch all of the chocolate runoff it was actually pretty easy to do. And came out so smooth and shiny:

Almond Raspberry Torte
Mmmmm chocolate glaze

Carolyn had the very high-pressure job of writing happy birthday on the cake. Oh yeah – we made the icing from scratch, too and substituted raspberry extract for the vanilla the recipe called for. You gotta take the theme all the way! Although I have a ton of icing left – can you freeze it I wonder?

Almond Raspberry Torte
Mmmm raspberry icing

We used the leftover raspberries, almonds, and chocolate glaze as a very tasty garnish:
Almond Raspberry Torte
Almond Raspberry Torte
Mmmmm garnish


Almond Raspberry Torte
Mmmm cake

I think my mom liked it:
Almond Raspberry Torte

Happy Birthday, Mom!

12 comments:

  1. Now that looks yummy! I bet there were no leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderfully delicious.

    I'll have to remember that everything is better with a little Razz - sounds like a life-guiding motto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, now I'm hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. too cute!! and it sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Overachiever! tee hee, that looks awesome.

    Oh and BTW,

    THE TRIBE TOTALLY ROCKS! What a nail biter tonight huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMMMM that looks/sounds yummy!! Raspberries are my fave! I've never heard of Rosbys before! I may have to go check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:54 PM

    Looks fabulous. Chocolate and raspberries are such a good "merge". Happy B-day to your Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake looks great, and that raspberry liquor was an awesome idea! Sometimes when you don't have the right ingredient the substitute is so much better!

    Also you are tagged!! Come check out my blog - I tagged you for a "8 Random Things" meme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:31 AM

    Oh yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cake looks great--and I should have checked your blog later! I had intended to just eat a banana prior to my exercise class, and now chocolate is on my mind.

    I don't see why you couldn't freeze the icing. Is it buttercream? Cookie dough with a sugar-butter mix freezes very well. Sometimes when I have just a little left-over icing, I just take Graham crackers and put the icing between two.

    My homemade cakes, also from scratch, taste good, but they don't look half as elegant as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to your mom that looks like an amazing cake!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh.my.freakin'.god. that cake looks AMAZING. happy belated to your mom, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...