October 26, 2007

I might be a superfan now

Ok so this week has not been a good one. I was down and out for two days with the worst migraine I’ve ever had. It was all kinds of awful but I’m feeling much, much better now. I mean being home sick is one thing… being home sick when you can’t play online/watch bad daytime TV/read/ or even (gasp) knit is something quite different. But like I said, I’m better now…sadly I don’t have a Peru post for this week and I have no knitting to show. So how about some pics from the Ohio State game instead?

First off I thought our tailgating was pretty high-class b/c Anne made some very gourmet giant sandwiches:
Ohio State Tailgating

I had no idea. The tailgating at Ohio State is impressive:
Ohio State Tailgating

Very, very impressive:
Ohio State Tailgating
Check out all of the generators.

Ohio State Tailgating
I mean these fans really do not mess around. There were generators and TV’s and direct TV satellites and one group was frying a turkey. It was all-pro.

Oh btw the weather was perfect – like mid 70’s and sunny perfect. Unfortunately that meant it was too warm to wear my superfan hat so I borrowed a t-shirt and picked up a strand of buckeyes at the gate:

Ohio State Tailgating
Us with the guy who sold us our buckeyes

I think we look like fans… we certainly partied like fans:
Ohio State Tailgating
Ohio State Tailgating
Heiny gate
Ohio State Tailgating
Doin’ the O-H-I-O thing. That happened a lot.

Then it was off to the game. Again I had no idea what I was in for. I was picturing a college football game like the ones I went to back in the ‘nati. So like 12 people in the stands, mainly parents of players, plus a few stragglers and the mascot. I was not expecting this:

Ohio State vs. Michigan State
Holy crowd, Batman!

Wikipedia tells me that Ohio Stadium seats 101,569 people. Which is more than twice as many as Jacob’s field. And the place was packed. Crazy that.

At half time we were all excited to see the i-dotting. But instead the band does this:
Ohio State vs. Michigan State
Some random show about Spain or something

Yeah the script Ohio happens at the end of the game. Which was not cool b/c it messed up our plan of leaving the game early to get back to the baring. Because – and this is awful – the Ohio Stadium is dry. Meaning no beer/liquor allowed. WTF. I mean football without drinking? It’s un-American. So much so that by the third quarter (when our pre game buzzes were starting to wear off and we had forever to go before the i-dotting) we had equated football without drinking to letting the terrorists win. It’s that un-American. But then we followed a kid to find the source of the dippin’dots and all was right with the world again. Ice cream even in strange dot form can solve pretty much any problem.

Eventually the game was over:
Ohio State vs. Michigan State

And we finally got to see the script Ohio:
Ohio State Marching Band
Ohio State Marching Band
Ohio State Marching Band
Ohio State Marching Band
Ohio State Marching Band
Ohio State Marching Band
Ohio State Marching Band
Ohio State Marching Band
Ohio State Marching Band
Ohio State Marching Band
Marching band at its finest. Oh yeah and Ohio State won so that was good….
Ohio State Game
Us at the stadium

That night our plan was simple: find bar, watch Indians game. We succeeded (even if the Tribe did not) and ran into the Buckeye Guy. The conversation went a little like this…

Buckeye Guy: Go Bucks!
Us: Um, what?
Buckeye Guy: I’m the Buckeye Guy! Didn’t you see me at the game?
Us: Whatever, dude. The Tribe is losing by a million. We’re not in a good mood right now.
Buckeye Guy: I’m kindof a big deal…
Us: ‘Effing Boston…
Buckeye Guy: I’ve been on ESPN…
Us: ‘Effing Manny…
Buckeye Guy: And I once pulled a girl from a burning car.
Us: Ok ... what? burning car? what? Nevermind...Can we take a picture with you?
Us with the Buckeye Guy
So yeah. It was a great day. Funtimes all around.

O-H-I-O!

9 comments:

  1. Jeanne: Did you go to UC??? My son is in the DAAP program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - your shots if the script are great! My cousin is down there but I haven't gone to a game yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:31 PM

    When I was in HS we did Script Ohio too! It was one of the most exhilarating shows all year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:32 PM

    Seeing Script Ohio in person is indeed impressive. Although, the game I went to, they did it before the game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny! Loooks liek a good time, better than the tribe game at least!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL

    Go BLUE! (Hey, I live 5 min. from the Michigan border) ;-)

    OSU stadium is ginormous, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had such a blast! You do realize that we are technically mortal enemies at the moment b/c Ohio State is playing Penn State tonight, right? LOL I completely don't care, although I do like Joepa b/c he's a Brown grad:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:41 PM

    I'm glad you came to your senses! OSU games are pretty powerful in person. You certainly LOOKED like a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about your Indians... but at least you have the Buckeyes! I love the hat you knit, too... so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...