August 29, 2007

Our New Toy

Something you may not know about me - I used to be super into photography – but then digital took over and after that it seemed silly to shoot with film… and I had a point ‘n shoot digital so I did the best I could with that. I definitely missed my SLR, though:
LOUVRE

The Louvre, Paris, France - taken August, 2001


Sagrada Familia

Sagrada Familia, Barcelona, Spain - taken August, 2001


pragueglass
St. Vitus Cathedral, Prague, Czech Republic - taken July, 2001



(I posted a bunch more of my scanned in photos on the flickr site here)

Well last week we got this:



A digital SLR! I’ve wanted one of these for about 5 years now – since the very first one came out. And we finally had a good enough reason (and had saved enough up) to buy one! I’ve done an exhaustive amount of research on this – brands and lenses and memory cards… Oh My. It’s overwhelming. But I’m so very happy with our choice: a Canon Digital Rebel XTi –It’s literally the digital upgrade of the cameras we used to love... And because everywhere I’ve read said you should invest “glass” more than anything we upgraded the kit lense to a sweet 18-200mm all purpose lens:
IMG_0247
I also splurged and got this:
IMG_0251
A simple 55mm fixed focal length lens with a very wide (1.8) aperture… which means that I should be able to imitate my fav. knitting photographers with some spectacular small depth of field work! Of course I’d actually have to do some knitting for this to apply but whatever…

How about some random pictures from around my house?

Near:
Zinnea
Far:
Garden Overall
Both of those were taken standing in exactly the same spot.... And so were these two:

Near:
Near
Far:
Far
Yeah for focal length!

I don’t have a macro lens because those cost a first born child or a vital organ but with the lenses I have I can fake it pretty well:
Dahlia
Dahlia

Dill
Dill

Zinnea
Zinneas

And of course I had to take some pics of my fav. subject:
Fire Yarn Single
Fire Yarn Single
Fire waiting to be plyed


Fire Yarn, Plyed
Plyed Fire. (noone actully thought I'd be able to wait to do that until I spun another bobbin did they?)
Fire Yarn, Plyed
Fire Yarn, Plyed
Fire Yarn, Plyed
Fire Yarn, Plyed
Yeah for new toys!

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the camera! Your pictures look great, you can tell that you've had some photography experience. I can't wait to see some more of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh that is one sexy camera! I too used to be more serious about photography - my Pentax P30 is still sitting in its bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOh, those are some amazing shots. Can't wait to see what you do with that baby in Peru.

    BTW, that is some AMAZING yarn you spun up. HOLY COW! What weight did it end up being after you plyed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:25 PM

    Oh, how exciting to get a new camera! I look forward to seeing more of your pictures.

    Fabulous yarn, I want to reach through the screen and touch it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:12 PM

    That is exactly my experience too. I used a Nikon SLR for years (and even had a brief stint at photography school), and I took great pictures. I'm so miserable with my point and shoot digital camera because the colors are so off and I have such trouble with closeups. I was thinking of the same digital SLR you just got and I've been leaving hints that it might make a good X-mas present.

    Do you use anything like Photoshop Elements? I'be been using iPhoto.

    Your photos are great. Keep telling us how the Canon works out for you!

    marjorie/primetimeknitter.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. No knitting required. Just yarn. Every friday. ;)

    Those pics are awesome. I look forward to more! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OHH nice camera! I can't wait to see the pictures from your trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh BABY am I jealous, I am also a photography chick and miss my Nikon E. Someday soon hopefully...have a great time with that on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:06 PM

    Yay for your cool new camera! Beautiful yarn and photos! Thanks so much for the nice words - I'm still learning myself how to take nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:26 PM

    Lovely pictures. I really like the one of the zinnia. And the fire yarn is spectacular. Can't wait to see some Peru pics with the new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:31 AM

    Awww - these photos were a feast for the eyes, really! It's very obvious that you were/are very much into photography, you sure have an amazingly good eye for details, special angles, light - fantastic! And congrats on your new camera, you're going to love it (okay okay, you do already ;) We have a Nikon 70s since two years and are still totally stunned by how awesome it works!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome new toy!! You are quite the photographer - I had such fun looking at all of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your pics are A-MAZ-ING! seriously, i'm in heaven looking at great pics like this, so i'm uber-excited that you got this great new toy and can provide me w/ fabulous desktops o' plenty : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...