August 30, 2007

Eggplant Parmesan

So this week I’ve been frantically preserving/canning/freezing/storing as much of my garden as I can before we leave for our trip. And my fav. way to save eggplant has got to be Eggplant Parmesan. So here’s the recipe I used – straight from my grandma.

Eggplant Parmesan

Step 1: Grow the eggplant:
Homegrown Eggplant
Homegrown Eggplant
(as a side note if you really want to freak out your neighbors a good way to do it is to photograph eggplant on your front lawn).

Step 2: Peel the purple part off of the eggplant with a potato peeler.
Eggplant Parmesan
Step 3: Slice the eggplant into ¼” pieces and layer it in a colander with a sprinkle of salt over each layer.
Eggplant Parmesan
Eggplant Parmesan
Step 4: Weigh down the eggplant with a bowl or something (like a hofbrau house mug filled with water) so that it starts to squeeze out some of the juice. This will get rid of the bitter taste.
Eggplant Parmesan
Step 5: Go knit or fold laundry or something for a few hours and let the eggplant drain. Or you could skip steps 1-5 and just start with straight-up eggplant but according to my grandma this is the way that she does it because this is the way her mother did it. Following my great-grandma’s recipe is motivation enough for me! You could also skip steps 1-5 by using sliced zucchini and making zucchini parmesan instead. Also very tasty.

Step 6: Put on some old clothes b/c this next part is MESSY.

Step 7: Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat until it starts to get little bubbles and steam a little. While you’re waiting for that to happen set up an assembly line of eggplant, flour, and beat eggs:
Eggplant Parmesan
Step 8: Roll eggplant slices in flour:
Eggplant Parmesan
Step 9: Dip floured eggplant in egg:
Eggplant Parmesan
Step 10: Fry until golden brown:
Eggplant Parmesan
Be very, very careful with this part. The oil is scalding hot and splashes really easily – I have a few burn spots on my hands from this! Also – I used tongs to flip them once or twice so they would cook evenly.

Step 11: Layer the fried yumminess on a plate with paper towels so that some of the oil is absorbed:
Eggplant Parmesan
Step 12: Once all of the eggplant is fried, layer in a baking dish tomato sauce, then eggplant, then tomato sauce, then parmesan cheese. I cheated and used store-bought sauce but homemade would probably be better!
Eggplant Parmesan
Repeat until you run out of eggplant or space in the pan, ending with parmesan cheese. I had 3 layers total of eggplant. Also if you want to you can add some shredded mozzarella and/or Romano cheese to cover the top layer:
Eggplant Parmesan
Step 13: Bake in a 350 oven until the cheese is bubbly. Or do what I did and cover with foil and freeze until that awful day in January when it’s so gray out it seems like summer will never come back.

Because this makes a hell of a mess I made 2 pans to freeze – one of eggplant, and one of zucchini:
Zucchini Parmesan
It’s as easy to make a little of this as it is a lot so go crazy!

4 comments:

  1. That sure looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that looks soooo good . . . and I don't even like eggplant (or zucchini - I know, I'm picky). That's okay, I'm pretending they are chicken cutlets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much for sharing grandma's recipe and w/ pics, to boot. i am kitchen-challenged, so this is exactly what i need to get me through a recipe like this. i hope you will save it in a special section on your blog so i can find it easy if i ever feel like making it : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:33 PM

    Hey! That's what we make! Almost the exact same except we just cut the eggplant and go. We don't weight it down and let it dry. What I'm trying to remember is if I mentioned that to you or if it was someone else who had a TON of eggplant... hmm...

    I love that stuff.. so good isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...