July 3, 2007

Shetland Triangle Shawl (at last)

So I finally (!) blocked and photographed the Shetland Triangle Shawl! Can I just say that I loved, loved knitting this. It was a random project. There is no reason for it other than to knit it. And I was very worried I would lose interest b/c it wasn’t a goal-oriented situation. Turns out I’m perfectly fine with random lace.

The Stats:
Pattern:
The Shetland Triangle Shawl from Wrap Style
Needles: Size 8 Knitpicks Options Needles
Yarn: 2.25 skeins of Silky Wool
Modifications: Thicker yarn and larger needles than the pattern called for, 11 or 12 pattern repeats (not totally sure), and I left off the last purl row so that the points wouldn’t be so pointy.
The verdict: Love. It. It was so much fun to knit – really the perfect blend of semi-mindlessness with interestingness. This would be a great first shawl project for someone new to the whole lace game.

Ok. On to the pretty.

Before it was blocked:
Shetland Triangle Shawl

Blocking it (same exact way I blocked Adamas):
Shetland Triangle Shawl
After it was blocked:
Shetland Triangle Shawl

And my personal fav.. the comparisons:

Before:
Shetland Triangle Shawl
After:
Shetland Triangle Shawl
Before:
Shetland Triangle Shawl
After:
Shetland Triangle Shawl
Before:
Shetland Triangle Shawl
After:
Shetland Triangle Shawl
Shetland Triangle Shawl
Before:
Shetland Triangle Shawl
After:
Shetland Triangle Shawl
So I may not have a clear event to wear this shawl to, but I’m thinking that the day that I wear something this pretty is an event in and of itself.
Shetland Triangle Shawl
Now to find something to wear with it….

23 comments:

  1. Wow Jeanne that is just gorgeous! I am totally impressed! Super job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out beautifully - nice work!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! I love every shawl I've seen knit from this pattern. Someday I'll give it a try too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is GORGEOUS! I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:41 PM

    Beautiful! I love it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH Jeanne! So, So, pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:07 AM

    It's beautiful!! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so fabulous. I loved all the comparison pictures too. It's so much fun to watch the magic of lace blocking. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! That's so lovely!
    And your photography tells the story so well. :)
    Wear it proudly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right...when you wear that shawl it will be an event unto itself! You did a great job - truly beautious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:31 PM

    That looks great. I wouldn't have thought to use Silky Wool for it, but your results are terrific. So far I've been a little reluctant to use a heavier weight yarn for shawls, but you're showing me that I'm wrong.

    I'm knitting that same pattern now (alternating it with a sweater), and I agree that it offers a modest challenge and is a very fine first shawl.

    And, when I'm done, I hope my photos are half as good as yours.

    marjorie/primetimeknitter.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6:18 PM

    Gorgeous! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! Silky Wool seems like an excellent yarn for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooooooh! That's gorgeous, Jeanne!! My LYS has some silky wool in the clearance bin right now... $2 a skein. I can't go wrong with that for my first lace project, now can I??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:41 AM

    It's gorgeous! Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful! It's so amazing to see how lace changes after blocking!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The shawl is beautiful! I never get enough of watching the blocking magic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - you did an amazing job with the lace! Beautiful pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the first lace project that has ever interested me EVER, your shawl is amazing!! Nice work, and I love that Silky Wool...

    ReplyDelete
  20. gorgeous, girlie! and i love love love the first pic w/ the roses.. such the photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!! your lace is always so beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job!

    I knit my first shawl (a triangular one) just because I wanted to knit a shawl. I didn't think I'd ever wear it! Turns out, I wear it almost daily. In the winter, it's a nice scarf on warmer days. I keep it at work to wrap into when it gets cold.

    ReplyDelete
  23. so, so pretty! and i agree both about the high fun quotient of shetland triangle, and that anytime you wear it is an occasion. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...