December 7, 2006

Cherry Blossom Shawl Block Party

Blocking lace is the coolest thing ever.... this was my first attempt at blocking something circular so I didn't really know what I was doing...

Basically I started by doing everything that I did when I blocked Adamas - I let it soak for about a half hour (with euclean) then being careful not to let any of it streach out I smooshed it in a towel to get rid of some of the excess water.

From there I was sortof at a loss. I didn’t know how to use my blocking wires effectively… I tried pinning the first repeat evenly but that was a mess… and the shawl started out really pouchy in the middle and somehow the middle pinning seemed to exaggerate that. Finally I came up with this solution:

I pinned my tape measure through the middle at the exact center of the shawl… this way I had a nice measure of radius. From there I just pinned out points at the same dimension (23.5"). First I pinned opposite sides, then the cross, then each middle point from there on.

Eventually I started pinning out each point.

Until it was finished.

This baby is seriously stretched within an inch of its life. I had to keep checking to make sure none of the pins had popped out! But eventually it relaxed into that shape – and no more pins were sent flying across the room.

Oh yeah - as soon as I put it on my blocking board I realized it was going to be way bigger than I had room for… luckily I had a hand-me-down board that used to be my great grandma’s. Putting the two boards together worked well enough but if I did it again I think I’d put something underneath them to keep them from sliding around.

anyways... here's what you really want to see:

Before:

After:


Before (last Friday's post)After:


Before:


After:


The specs:
Pattern: Cherry Blossom Shawl from the Spring 2002 Interweave knits
Modifications: I only knit 9 repeats of the third chart instead of whatever they called for… my grandma is a small woman so I didn’t want the shawl to be too big! It still came out a pretty decent size – about 45" across.
Yarn: Knitpicks Color your own that I Dyed myself with koolaid
Timeline: For-ever. Since June. I had some issues though…



 It was so very worth it in the end!

27 comments:

  1. That is absolutely beautiful. I especially like the color!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is seriously beautiful. Your Grandma is going to be thrilled. Who wouldn't???

    And wonderful technique for pinning it out - I'm not sure I'd have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It. is. beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!! Wow for the process and Wow Wow for the result!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a ton of work, but very much worth it - it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredibly beautiful!!! You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg jeanne - seriously, she is going to be SOOOOO impressed! it is just beautiful!!! how the heck will u wait for xmas to gift it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:03 PM

    I knew you would post pictures! I have been checking for them! It is SPECTACULAR!!!!! Grandma will be totally blown away. I am glad you are giving it to someone who will appreciate all of your hard work. I know she will cherish it forever. It is truly a wonderful gift of love. I am so proud of you!!!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, jeanne, that's gorgeous! your grandma will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning gift for your grandmother. I know she will treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG Jeanne, that is so absolutely amazing that I can't even begin to find words to applaud you. I have to admit that when I saw your process (tape measure, radius) I chuckled out loud and thought "That figures for an architect". Tee hee. You are so darn cute! Although I must say, Bravo, as that is the absolutely PERFECT way to block a circular shawl.

    I have to say that of all the projects that all my knitting friends have ever done, that HAS to be the most amazing and intricately beautiful piece I have ever had the pleasure of seeing someone work on.

    Wow.

    Make sure you have the camera ready when Grandma opens that baby up. It is going to be a priceless kodak moment for sure (or should I say priceless Mastercard moment???)

    That would be too cute as a post. Y'know something like:

    Cost of yarn = $xx

    xx packets of kool aid = $xx

    tape measure, pins and blocking boards = $xx

    number of times I thought I wouldn't finish it = XX

    hours (approximately) to complete = XX

    Look on grandma's face on xmas = Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, it's stunning! Absolutely Stunning! Such a beautiful thing to do for your granda.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous Jeanne! And ladies, I got to see it in person, and my oh my is it beautiful!! I can't wait to hear about your Grandma's reaction to the shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous!! Blocking completely transformed it. I love the pictures in the window, it looks like fairy lace!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:23 AM

    Wow! Absolutely and utterly seriously: WOW!!! This must be the most amazing Cherry Blossom Shawl I've ever seen - and I've seen a lot of them! As the pattern is the same with all of the versions, I think it must have been your most professional blocking job that made the *real* difference - really, if I compare my ridiculous blocking attempts to yours, then I can only bow my head in shame. Amazing how I did it, and I've actually bookmarked your step-by-step impressions and instructions for the next time I'll have to block a shawl - it can't get any better than this!
    Thank you for sharing - and I know your Grandma will wear this shawl with pride, it's a true piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful lace work!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How inspiring !!

    You're Grandma is a lucky lady !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow... i am in awe!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Jeanne -

    Every time I see your work I'm amazed. And this time is no different! You're the best knitter ever!! It's a great homage to your knitting mentor - your grandma is going to love it!

    Now you finished this you know that you can accomplish anything and you'll be knitting a shawl a week, right!?!
    Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see what's next. (Matt's sweater, right!?)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous12:55 PM

    Yeah. It's gorgeous! (Just agreeing with everyone else!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! I saw this post on the Lace Shawl Knit Along and bought that issue of Interweave immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW is that gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is spectacular. I have some laceweight zephyr in lady slipper set aside for this shawl and your photos make me wish I could start it right now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous4:54 AM

    Just you haven't heard it enough, that shawl is f-ing knitastic! Last time I saw you, wrist cozies were being cranked out and now this madness. You got some serious skills.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm still catching up on all the blog posts I missed this month! Gah! I can't believe I missed this beauty! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...