June 23, 2006

Amazing Lace Challenge #1

So yeah… everyone else did this around Memorial Day… and here I am doing it right before the fourth of July… eh. Better Late than Never!

After much debate my Amazing Lace teammate has finally been chosen and assembled. See I’m knitting a shawl for my grandmother (shhh it’s going to be a surprise). She is my knitting guru so my teammate had to be good.

I thought briefly about doing the sheep shawl (she’s also a spinner, and a weaver and a lover of all things sheep related) but I couldn’t picture her in it. It had to be more… spectacular… and intricate… and well … amazing. Then I though of her other passion – her garden…. There are so many beautiful floral/botanical lace patterns out there! So then I focused on shape… I’ve wanted to try a circular shawl because I’ve never done that before and I’m all about the whole "challenge" part of this project. Plus I could see her using it as a lap blanket or as a regular blanket or folded over and used as a shawl. Options are good. So I started googling circular shawls and found this:

Isn’t it pretty! It’s the Cherry Blossom Shawl from the Spring 2002 Interweave Knits and my new teammate. It’s seriously going to be like knitting a giant flower.
I couldn’t wait to get started.

But first I needed yarn.
Again with the challenge part of the project… Since this is going to be given to a fiber enthusiast no ordinary yarn would do. I wanted something unique… something one of a kind…and since she’s the one who taught me how to dye fiber in the first place… well… Sunday night I did this:

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com
Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com

It’s 2 hanks of knitpicks dye your own… I used kool-aid in pink lemonade, pink lemonade mixed with regular lemonade, and pink lemonade mixed with strawberry to dye it. I wanted subtle pinky/peachy colors…. It’s a little brighter than I wanted but I still like it:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com
Now I just need to wind it (I have no swift or ball winder so that is not a small task) and my summer of lace can finally begin!

6 comments:

  1. The yarn is beautiful! You're very brave to wind it all by hand. But may I suggest borrowing someone's winder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my to-knit list too! I'll be watching to see how it turns out for you! (Also, before I got my ball winder, I would roll skeins onto an empty toilet paper roll so I had a nice cylinder of yarn.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, just wanted to let you know that I got an email about River Yarns on Center ridge Road is going out of business. The sale is starting tomorrow saturday. FYI!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the yarn turned out! And the pattern -- gorgeous! I can't wait to see the finished product -- and your grandmother will *love* it. I'm getting ready to do my next lace, too, so we'll be able to knit along again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. u can totally borrow my ball winder and swift, girlie...just let me know when u want it and we can get together :)
    that pattern is gorgeous and i love the color of the yarn, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:39 AM

    I've been wanting to knit this shawl for ages. I guess some people ended up with the middle being a little poochy afterward so I was thinking of doing that part in a size smaller needle than the rest. Are you using the laceweight Knipticks or the fingering weight?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...