June 20, 2006

First Socks!

My first pair of socks ever is done!!!!
Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com
Notice the doggie legs in the background? for some reason Dexter was real interested in what I was doing

And for whatever reason the toe on the second one doesn't look nearly as wonky as the first one did.
Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com
The number 1 thing I learned while knitting socks is that socks only look like a small project. I always thought they would be such a quick knit - but they are very deceiving.... there are ALOT of stitches in socks. No seriously - ALOT. Like 3150 just to get to the heel on ONE of the socks. Socks only look small. Because of this I'm going to try to never knit socks on a deadline. I could see that ending badly.

As far as if I'm now turned into a sock knitter.... well...

I love that they are so portable. I knit the second sock everywhere – on the bus, waiting for the bus (now that’s a bonus!), in the car (I even turned the heel on the way down to cincy!), while cooking, waiting in line at the post office, on the phone, at my race on Sat, etc. etc. I knit that baby EVERYWHERE. Which was fun to have a project that was completely mindless – that I could pick up for a row or two (or even just a needle or two) and then put down and forget about. I think that aspect of sock knitting is what will keep me knitting socks… I don’t see any really complex socks in my near future, though.

Here’s the stumpy legs perspective shot:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com
Oops sorry, dog got in the way (seriously he wouldn’t leave me alone!) There you go:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com
So I do have a few more sock projects in mind… I know I saw a pair of socks with a split toe so you can wear them with sandals somewhere in the blogosphere… does anyone know where I can find that pattern? And I want to knit my husband a pair… know of any good guy-sock patterns? Or yarn? Something durable and manly…

And one last shot:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com

12 comments:

  1. Cute! Congrats on the completion of your first pair of socks! I totally love the colorway. So...does this mean that you've joined the infamous Sock Cult? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have avoided socks because of all those stitches! Small Yarn and small needles are not my friends! But yours look great ... good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:11 AM

    Wow, congratulations! These socks look absolutely amazing! The colorline rocks big time, it's so cheerful and fresh, and your version of the toes looks just perfect! Great job done - and I love the pics that you did of them!
    Now, did the sock bug already bite you? You may end up being one of us who are heavily addicted to knitting socks - actually it seems you are already one of those, LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the socks look great! and they look super comfy too. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! Congrats on the first finished pair! Wait til you have a few more under your belt - they really are addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job with the new socks. Socks have a deceptively large number of stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job!! Way to Go!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that you enjoyed knitting your socks >:D Let me know when you receive your next package, it should be any day now. Also, I will send you some man sock yarn next month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. jeanne - ur socks rock!!
    i'm learning the magic loop method and have only knitted a little bit of my first one (cuz i've been too busy studying to knit, if u can believe that), but it's a lil wonky/loose, so i already know it won't be as great as urs. however, i'm determined to make it work cuz I LOVE SOCK YARN! :))
    great job...u continue to be my knitting idol w/ every new project u finish!!
    ps - i miss u!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jeanne! Nice socks and I can't wait to see that shawl in progress.

    KnitPicks recently featured a pattern for those socks that you can wear with flipflops. Here is the page. But now that I look at it again, it appears that the pattern is in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOoh, isn't it great to knit socks! They're the whole reason I learned to knit, so that I could make socks!

    I'm glad that I am not the only one who knits socks EVERYWHERE. tee hee.

    BTW, when I knit my DH his first pair of socks, he LOVED them. I would just make the plain old stockinette or 2X2 rib for a man. Don't know that my DH would ever wear a pair of patterned socks. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. BTW, if you don't want to have to buy a whole book, you can get a split toe pattern here:

    http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=HFAA14/291.0

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...