July 24, 2006

Frogging lace sucks.

Note to self: Never get cocky. The second I get over-confident and think I know what I’m doing with this knitting stuff the knitting gods smite me.

So I sit down for the perfect afternoon of knitting and bad tv – Matt’s out on the boat fishing, Dexter has a bone, and I finally have the mental capacity to pick up the lace I hadn’t worked on in 2 weeks. So I take a look at it to try to figure out what row I’m on (mistake #1: not using a row counter. What the hell was I thinking with that one?! Just because I didn’t need one for the Adamas does not mean that I could handle this.) and I notice that half of the shawl looks like this:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
When it should look like this:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet

And this is not a shawl I can fudge. This is for my grandma. My knitting guru. Someone who would not only notice the error but question why I didn’t go back and fix it. I had no choice but to rip. Which wouldn’t have been a horrible thing if I had used lifelines like I had done with the Adamas. (mistake #2: I thought that since I didn’t need the lifelines in Adamas there’s no way I’d need them with this, much simpler, lace pattern. HA! I didn’t know the cardinal rule of lace knitting - if you use lifelines you won’t need them. If you don’t use them you will.)

I’m sure I made the mistake about 13 rows back during the car knitting when we got out to get grub. I stopped mid row came back in and started knitting on a different row of the pattern. (Why, oh, why did I not use a row counter?)
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Just breathe.
Photo Hosted at Buzznet

Because I had no lifeline (I am stoopid) I had to rip to the only point where I was certain of where I was in the pattern… the increase row…. 17 rows in total.

Keep breathing….
Photo Hosted at Buzznet

Ok. It’s back on the needles. That wasn’t so bad! I can do this….
Photo Hosted at Buzznet

So then I proceed to do the increase row, and knit the plain row afterwards… adding the stitch markers as I went…. And I get to the end of the round and I’m missing 4 stitches. (Mistake #3: not counting the stitches I just laboriously put back on the needles before starting up with the knitting again. Did I seriously think I had made NO mistakes in picking up 96 lace stitches??? That I didn’t miss at least a yarn over or 2?!)

I couldn’t handle ripping it out again. I just couldn’t do it. So I slipped each stitch individually onto the circular needle… lining up where the patterns should be with the rows below. Where the center stitch didn’t line up I knew I had missed a stitch somewhere…. luckily I found one that was just hanging there… but the other one had disappeared somewhere into the lace. From there on the next lace row whenever I had only 7 stitches between the markers instead of 8 I just omitted the knit 2 together. It’s not perfect… but it worked out ok.

Here’s the shawl now (after staying up until midnight knitting like a madwoman determined to get back to the point at which I started):
Photo Hosted at Buzznet

Notice the row counter? There is no lifeline, though. I’ll add one of those in after this pattern repeat.

It is possible that I will never learn…..

7 comments:

  1. wow - despite the mistakes, that is gorgeous! Grandma Guru is going to love it and love you for putting so much time into it!!! WTG!
    by the way...i'm on for knit night tuesday at b.o.a.f. 6-8...see you there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's gonna be beeeyuuutiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only comment about your whole experience is: go here:

    http://knittingnurse.blogspot.com/2006/03/you-know-what-they-say-about-best-laid.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanne, I feel your lace frogging pain. It's so frustrating to frog but it is so worth it. The shawl is looking beautiful, love the yarn. Grandma will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the horror! I think my heart stopped for a second or two when I read this. I'm so impressed, though, that you managed to frog it and pick everything back up again -- without taking the whole thing and tossing it out the window. I think I would have. Or I would have ripped the whole thing out and cried for a while. You're amazing -- and just think of the great story you'll have to tell your grandma when you give it to her. She'll be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, that's just painful. Glad you're back on track now - it's gonna be a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:47 PM

    oh yes, i learned long ago never to tempt the knitting gods! it looks great, though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...