March 3, 2006

What I've been up to.

Ok so after the fall I stopped knitting for a few days… during which time I decided that since I have a few weddings coming up I clearly need a fantabulous lace shawl to wear. Problem is that I have no clue how to knit lace… or what lace patterns are out there… or any of that. So I’m starting simple:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com
That would be the Airy Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. It’s knit out of the Plymouth Yarns Baby Alpaca Brush that my aunt gave me for Christmas. And I'm off to an iffy start... I screwed up immediately on the first eyelet row and tried to rip back. Riiiiight …. Apparantly fuzzy yarn likes to twist itself together as you knit making it nearly impossible to rip back because the strands are essentially spun together. So I just cut it. Whatever...I’m learning… Then on the second attempt at the eyelet row I screwed up again but didn’t notice that I had made a mistake until the next eyelet row. I forgot a Yarn Over – so I just added a stitch and moved on. I’m hoping that the difference in the width of it won’t be noticeable after blocking. You can block 80% Alpaca 20% Acrylic right?

Then I decided that I was bored of the Airy Scarf… and that it was perfect bus knitting – small, portable, and semi-mindless….. So I started this:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com

That would be the Branching Out scarf from Knitty. It’s described as being "easy lace". I’m knitting it out of some Andean Silk that I had and so far it’s going really well but very slow. I’m getting faster at it, though… and it is so much fun to knit… challenging enough to be very interesting. And it’s a scarf so I can’t screw up any arm joining or shaping or anything major like that. I can’t wait to finish and block it since right now it looks all bunched up:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com

I can totally see how lace could be addicting....

2 comments:

  1. omg - that is amazing...u r such a fast knitter! i planned on starting branching out in january but still haven't...i think i will do that after i finish the irish hiking scarf. i'm nervous as all getout, but i have been following the branching out KAL and it's great to see everyone's different versions of this scarf. good luck and i can't wait to see it when it's done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Branching Out is beautiful! See? Lace isn't so hard after all...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...