March 16, 2006

Lace Jumping

I did it. I started a lace shawl. I’m so scared and going so slowly…but I’m doing it. I’m working on the Adamas Shawl from Knitpicks – my secret pal sent me all the stuff to make it so why not. I actually started to cast on for Birch but then got distracted, read a few blogs on lace knitting, and decided that I really need to learn how to knit from a chart. And, well, with the Adamas shawl there is no choice – the directions are ONLY in chart form. So I can’t even look back at the directions for "reference". And you know what? It kind-of is starting to make sense. I understand what the chart means so far. Ok yeah I’ve had a few screw-ups… and I’m only through the first chart (20 rows)… but nothing is perfect the first time you try it….and well… I’m doing it!


Ok… I want to use lifelines – I’ve read they are the way to go with lace… so what I did was I ran a doubled up string of sewing thread through the stitches after the first chart and then just kept knitting from there. You can see it in the picture – it’s the black thread… That’s what a lifeline is right? Just an extra place to find your stitches? I hope the thread I used isn’t too skinny… but I didn’t want to use anything big or I was afraid it would make my stitches wonky… is that really a problem? I don’t really know what I’m doing here at all…. but it's fun!

***Edit: Duh. I meant to say the ADAMAS shawl not the Adams shawl. Oops... Also it was designed by Miriam Felton and you can visit her blog here.

6 comments:

  1. Your shawl looks gorgeous! You've got a great start. Isn't it exciting? I know it's slow at first, but you'll get the hang of it, and it'll start to go faster. I promise. And your lifeline looks fine -- all you need is something to hold on to your stitches in case you need to rip back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg - now i'm even more nervous about this lifeline/lace business ;)
    however, by the time i'm ready to start branching out, you'll be a pro and can hold my hand thru the whole process :)
    keep up the good work, girlie - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:36 PM

    Hi Jeanne, You got me motivated to try a crocheted shawl. It took me 9 tries to figure out that the pattern started in the top middle of the long side of the shawl. I kept assuming I was on one of the corners and couldn't figure out why it wasn't going right. I never did so much ripping out in my life. I'm making "Country Cotton Shawl" www.lionbrand.com.patterns/ccc-shawl.html (except I changed it a little bit.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you mean the Adamas Shawl? I have the yarn and pattern ordered and they are due in any day now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started the Seraphim Shawl also by Mim. Every so often I get the urge to knit lace, but lately I've wanted stockinette so I'm hoping this one will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...