April 7, 2010

Leftover Sock Yarn Mitts

So thanks to knitting lots of samples for the Destination Yarn trunk shows I have amassed a ridiculous amount of mini skeins of leftover sockyarn. Seriously. Piles of little balls mocking me because they are too small to do anything productive with.

Or are they?

My google-fu (or Ravelry-fu) failed me on this one.

So I decided to create a pattern for something useful with as little yarn as you have:
Leftover Sockyarn Mitts
Those mitts took exactly 0.95 oz (27 Grams) of sock yarn.

Not very much.

And the bonus is that they are knit from the fingers down to the cuff. Meaning that you can bind off whenever you run out of yarn. Or keep going until you reach your armpits. Whichever.
Leftover Sockyarn Mitts
Not so easy to photograph your own hand...

Anyways!  Here’s what I did:

Leftover Sockyarn Mitts
Ravelry Link:  Leftover Sockyarn Mitts

Materials:
a small amount (126ish yards, 0.95 oz, 27g) of Fingering Weight Yarn (bonus points if you use Destination Yarn. Mine are knit out of the colorway London)
Size 3 Double Pointed Needles (or one looooong circular if magic loop is your thing)
A stitch marker for marking the beginning of the round and 1 other stitch markers for marking decreases

I divided my leftover yarn into 2 equal balls so that I would know exactly how much I had for each mitt. This step isn’t necessary unless you’re really, really cutting it close!

Gauge: 8 stitches and 11 rows = 1 inch

Hand:
Using a long tail cast on, Cast on 48 stitches. Join for knitting in the round being careful not to twist.

Work K2, P2 rib for 5 rounds. (or longer if you want the opening at the fingers to be ribbed for longer)

Knit 20 rounds plain (or desired length from fingertips to thumb opening)

Gusset Setup:
Round 1: K1, Cast on 12 using Backwards Loop method. Knit to end of Round.
Round 2: Knit 14, place marker, knit to end of round.

Gusset:
Round 1 (Decrease Round): SSK, knit to 2 stitches before marker, K2tog, knit around
Round 2: Knit around slipping all markers
Round 3: Knit around slipping all markers

Repeat Gusset Rounds 1-3 until 48 stitches remain on needles (6 times total).
Leftover Sockyarn Mitts

Cuff: K2, P2 around every round for 25 rounds (or until desired cuff length, or until you run out of yarn)

Bind off loosely in pattern.
Weave in all ends and block if desired.
Repeat for second mitt.
Leftover Sockyarn Mitts

Not too shabby for one skein of sock yarn:
leftover sockyarn mitts
2 good-sized socks, 2 mitts, and a bit leftover.

leftover sockyarn mitts

In other news my Traveling Woman Shawl is coming along swimmingly:
Travelling Woman Shawl
Love.  LOVE how the Rainy Afternoon is knitting up!

So close to being able to start the lace! Remember you can still join my little Spring Lace Knit Along and enter to win some fabulous prizes!

5 comments:

  1. I saw this on your projects page and was hoping you'd share the pattern. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know what I can do with that left over sock yarn that I will soon have! Thanks for sharing your pattern. I love the ribbing detail around the finger tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I do this alot. . .fingerless mitts from leftover sock yarn, but I have never worked top-down! The shawl is looking good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:51 PM

    Just found your pattern and LOVE IT! I am undergoing chemo right now and will start radiation in February. I have been making loads of hats and was looking for a nice handwarmer pattern to use up my left over yarns (yes it does get "chilly" here in Florida, and this one will fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:00 PM

    thank you I too have been looking for an easy pattern we need gloves here in Australia in winter these are great to use while on the computer

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...