August 26, 2008

Olympic Update: Silver? Bronze?

So I had a grand plan to not post until I was modeling my finished shrug – preferably I would post this on Sunday… Yeah. That clearly didn’t happen. The one two punch of being sick and being uber busy pretty much ended my Olympic dreams. Here’s where I’m at:
Olympic Shrug
Soooo close! I honestly probably could have finished on time but after knitting the sleeves the first time I realized that I had a lot more hanspun yarn left… so I ripped back and made them much longer.
Olympic Shrug
Oh well. In the end it’s more important that I have a shrug that I love than one that was finished on time.

I’m happy with my choice of the Medieval Red, though. I think it offsets the red bits in the hanspun really, really nicely. Thanks for all of your opinions on that!
Olympic Shrug
Basically I only have about 10 more rounds to go. And I probably could have done it, too, but I just do not have the dedication of an Olympian. I got distracted by things such as a party and my fantasy football draft.

So here are my final stats:

Dying – 1 lb of fiber dyed.
Spinning – 8 oz of fiber spun and plyed into approximately 300 plus yards of yarn.
Knitting – about 80% of a shrug knit.

Not too shabby for 17 days. Perhaps I should get a silver or a bronze?

In other knitting news I finally finished the Odessa I’ve been working on:
Odessa hat
It’s a Chemo Cap for a family member of Matt’s who needs it.

I love the Odessa pattern – it’s my fav. chemo cap by far. The bling is just so perfect... But man is it a pain in the ass to knit. Something about the lace and the beads makes it take for-ev-er. That and the cotton fleece was really hurting my hands so I could only knit a round or two at a time.
Odessa hat
So it grew in baby steps and took way longer to finish than I had planned. I think the finished hat is completely worth it, though!
Odessa hat
Tomorrow? Something way funner than the Olympics. No, really.

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:35 PM

    They are both very pretty! The bead work is stunning! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the odessa cap... it's awesome what you are doing it for... but I would totally wear it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:59 PM

    The shrug is looking wonderful. Odessa is totally gorgeous! Love the color and the bead bling is just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shrug is adorable! I love the two colors together!! The hat is very pretty too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's alright, but I am LUVIN' the border color you picked!! :oD Yeah my vote does matter! Haha!

    Odessa has just the right amount of bling! Me likey!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. both projects look fabulous, and the kick-@$$ fantasy draft party was totally worth the distraction, at least to me...thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. both are just lovely! Nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is amazing what you got accomplished in 17 days. You deserve a medal for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shrug is looking great, and you're right it's better to have it right than never wear it.

    Love your Odessa, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I stand corrected - the red looks fab with the handspun! Not a jolly fat guy in sight!

    Lovely job on the Odessa, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you for not sacrificing the knit for the sake of a timeline. It's gonna look great with the longer sleeves. And oooh Odessa is so pretty in Emerald!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:42 AM

    The shrug is very pretty - love the combo of the handspun and teh red yarn. I do think you deserve a silver medal - you got a lot done in 17 days! Great hat - I've always wanted to make this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice projects. I've never seen Odessa with beads. Yours is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:10 PM

    Beautiful beautiful knits!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous7:18 PM

    i just love the odessa hat! it is beautiful. i was wondering is there a way to get ahold of that amazing pattern? please let me know. your knitting is awesome!
    rtg260@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...