January 30, 2008

Glass and Snow

So this weekend we took a little mini-vaca to our rival to the east to visit my husband’s brother. Don’t get me wrong – I like Pittsburgh. I even supported Matt’s team and wore black and gold when they were in the superbowl. But I’m still a Cleveland girl and they are still our rival.

One of the main reasons for this trip was to see the Chihuly exhibit at Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. I’ve wanted to go for months now. He is one of my absolute favorite artists and not just because I have a thing for the Bellagio. I also happen to have a thing for Venice.

We decided to go Friday night so that we could see Chihuly Nights (same exhibit, different lighting).

It was so interesting
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory

And beautiful
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory

And surprising
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory

And so very worth every second of the 2 and a half hour drive.
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory
I love how the sculptures fit with the plantings and mimic the shapes around them:
Chihuly nights at Phipps Conservatory
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory
And become a part of them as well:
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory

The free standing pieces were spectacular:
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory

As well as the full room instillations.
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory

Each area has a completely different feel:Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory

From the glowing tumbleweeds – which are visible from pretty far outside of the conservatory:
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory

To the glass spheres and boat:
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory

To the floating chandiliers:
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory

I think my favorite pieces, though were these:
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory
They are outside in the Japanese tea garden and appear to be jumping out of the icy koi pond:
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory
Simply breathtaking.

After we took a few goofy pictures
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory
And a posed picture:
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory
I had a little time to play with my 50mm lens:
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory
Chihuly Nights at Phipps Conservatory
Experimenting with framing, and depth of field.

If you are anywhere within driving distance of this exhibit I highly recommend going – and going soon. It only runs through Feb. 24th. But if you can’t see it in person there are even more pictures (believe it or not) here on my flickr site.

From there we went to Redbeard's Mountain Resort & Yacht Club – a little dive type bar up on Mount Washington – for dinner and a few drinks before calling it a night. And yes, I did make the bartender switch the TV to the X-games. Heh.

The next morning we left bright and early for Seven Springs to get our ski on.
Seven Springs
The mountain is divided into a front face and a north face – the front being closest to the lodge… Yeah. It was super-crowded. Everyone must be taking advantage of all of this snow! So we hung out mainly on the North Face which has some nice views:
Seven Springs
Joel and Ellen were experimenting with the whole snowboard thing (Joel is a skier, Ellen is new to both) so we only stayed with them for a couple of runs…
Seven Springs
Matt “helped” Joel get down the hill faster.
Seven Springs
Heh.

By the time the front faced closed and the lights were coming on for the night ski we were all pretty tired. So we headed back to Joel’s place where he made us a tasty taco dinner
Joel
And we spent the rest of the evening playing Guitar Hero III
Guitar Hero III
The guys were really into it. Ellen and I both liked to play but weren’t nearly competitive about it. We figured out that “pride and joy” is the funnest thing to play ever and just rocked that like 3 times in a row – and one time this happened:
Guitar Hero III
Our scores are one point apart. I don’t think we could do that if we tried.

And since I don’t think I’ve ever had a cat on the blog here’s a picture of Apollo:
Appollo
She liked me because I talked to her. A lot.

All in all it was a very fun weekend!!!

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:33 PM

    Looks like an amazing weekend! Thanks for posting the glass pics-- now I want to go (and Ikea. Pittsburgh has Ikea!). And welcome to the world of cat blogging. It's a slippery slope. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:15 PM

    Gorgeous Chihuly pictures! There's a lovely Chihuly 'chandelier' at Kenyon, where I went to college, but the bigger-scale pieces are just mindblowing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-you going to Pbgh would be like me going to Green Bay (I'm a Vikings fan), so I really admire you taking one for the team (hehe). Thanks for the info about the Chihuly exhibit, must take kidlets there asap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You take lovely pictures!!!! I love Chihuly too. We have a big piece in our art museum at the very front and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lights with the plants are absolutely amazing. What an amazing thing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:29 PM

    Love Chihuly. Beautiful photos (as usual). There's a permenant installation at the Franklin Park Conservatory in Columbus, but not as spectacular, I think, as what you saw! Now I want to go there. Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are stunning photos!

    I can't ski - makes me feel like my knees are going to break off. LOL Maybe tubing would be a better option. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the Chihuly at night is amazing! I've seen the ones at Franklin Park Conservatory, but only during the day - it all looks uber-exciting at night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos! My Buddy Bill has a collection of Dominic Labino's glass art, and it's gorgeous. I think the exhibit you saw would be something we'd both enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab pics! Look like you had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:28 AM

    Wow whatta weekend! The glass garden is fantastic. You sure have a winner of a camera there. Love the scenic views too, so pretty. Cute kitty, she sure looks like a talker to me. My cat is the typical male... he grunts and snorts at me. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:15 AM

    I love Chihuly - I'm so amazed by his work. Thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely pictures - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should print note cards of the Chihuly pictures. Saw the installation at Franklin Park a few years ago, but not at night. Fabulous. His glass is amazing. Sounds like a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures of the Chihuly exhibit. I almost feel as if I was there too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went to Kenyon, too, so Chihuli is near and dear to my heart. I love your closeup photo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Those photos are amazing!!! The exhibition looks absolutely beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous3:03 PM

    You will also have to have a checking account so the
    amount of money might be deposited to your account pay day uk on the other hand, you will find lenders which simply offer
    loans to the rv where you've to prepare for the lot on your own.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...