January 6, 2008

This is so not a good idea

So have you ever known something was a bad idea and done it anyways?
Juilet

Yeah. That would be the start of Juilet. I do not have enough yarn to finish this project. Not even close. I have approximately 300 yards - the pattern calls for 600.

Juilet
Uh huh.

See last night about 10 min before the Steelers playoff game (I’m a Browns fan but my husband is die hard Steelers so for the sake of a calm household I want them to win) I realized that all of my knitting requires paying attention.

I can’t pay attention during the playoffs.

So I looked in my basket (not time for stash diving upstairs) and saw the 2 and a half skeins of Patons Shetland Chunky in Soft Teal left over from the hat/mittens combo. Somewhere a little bell went off in my brain – didn’t Michelle knit Juilet out of this yarn?

5 min. later I had printed the pattern and was casting on. I did this with the full knowledge that my yarn reserves weren’t going to make it.
Juilet
I just didn’t care.

But really, this is a commercial yarn. Somewhere in one of the many stores that sell this in the area hast to be 2 little skeins of this colorway, right? I’m going to go make some phone calls and find out…. although something tells me that this was a bad plan...

Edited to Add:

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys!!! I actually spent some time on the phone on Sunday calling all of the area craft stores trying to track down the yarn. Noone has it. Apparantly it doesn’t exist in the greater Cleveland area. Eh. That’s what the internets is for! So I did a little googling and thanks to this fun website (which Andi later recommended, actually – thanks!) www.knittingwarehouse.com my yarn should be here tonight!

10 comments:

  1. Dude, if you can't find the same color, did you think of making the body portion a different color? That would be cool and then the button that goes on the bodice can be the same as the body and vice versa.

    Uh oh. I think I need to go and buy a patter and go stash diving. What a great way to use a smaller amount of yarn, no? I wonder if I have enough cotton ease in pink and black. hmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going along with what knittingnurse said, if you use a contrast color, you could always crochet an edge around the sleeves and the neckline in the contrast color as well, to bring it all together. Could be nifty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that was Juliet right away! LOL

    I am SURE you can find more of that yarn! Especially off of someone on Ravelry!

    Can't wait to see it grow! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, if the stores in your area don't have it, I'm sure you can swap or buy some from someone on Ravelry. It's all going to be okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I think if I knit faster, I will use less yarn. It doesn't work--so don't try it at home.

    I think the contrast color idea is a good one. You might also try to find something variegated or tweedy with a dominant color that is the same as your solid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DUDE- i admire your commitment to knitting & understand your obsession! I must say, you create beautiful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man, that's not a good feeling. Well if all else fails, I think a chocolate brown would look nice with that color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, having mindless knitting projects near the couch where you watch tv is a really good idea! But I agree with the others that you'll be able to get your hands on that yarn in no time...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand that urge to cast on a mindless knitting project, RIGHT NOW! You should be able to find that yarn pretty easily - it's a nice color too, BTW - it should look nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:52 AM

    Very nice. Don't hate me.... I should of thought of the Knitting Warehouse back prior when you had shortage issues...gah... I do not know what color you were looking for, but this online store has great prices and great service. You might want to check at: http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn-patons.html. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...