May 31, 2007

Socks and Hiking! It must be summer.

So this past weekend was the official start to summer - and we did many of the typical Memorial Day things – we had a friend in from out of town, we traveled to meet another out of town friend, we BBQ’d, we planted/gardened/weeded, etc… but most of all? We played outside:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
That would be the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. We’ve been meaning to check it out for along time now… I mean a national park in our backyard? That has to be good. So on Monday we spent the afternoon on a 7 mile hike through the park.

We started off on a stretch of the towpath trail north of Boston:

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

But we almost got run over by bikers so we veered off past the Stanford hostel and onto the Stanford trail:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
From there we hiked up to the Brandywine falls which are beautiful:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

Photo Hosted at Buzznet
And back down around the Brandywine Falls loop trail crossing over the Brandywine creek:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet

Photo Hosted at Buzznet
My parent’s dog, Max (we were watching him while they were on vaca), was NOT thrilled about jumping across the river on those rocks. Finally Dexter (my dog) was able to convince him. Seriously. It was adorable.

Along the creek there were some very pretty wildflowers….
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
From there we just retraced our steps back to the car...All in all it was a very fun hike.

Although I think the true sign that it’s officially summer is that I’m finally (finally!) done with the Spring Socks-that-never-end:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Pattern: Raindrop Lace Socks, Evelyn Clark for Fiber Trends
Yarn: Fleece Artist Merino in the wildflower colorway (not 100% sure of the color - I lost the ballband)
Needles: Size 2 bamboo
Modifications: None (really, I swear)
The Verdict: These bad boys almost sucked out my soul they took so long. Lace Socks are a serious time investment. Like as much as a sweater time investment. I need to remember that next time I think it’s a good idea to knit a pair… however in the end I love them. They are pretty and light and airy and… well… here’s a closeup of the lace pattern:
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Yup. I love them. I think if I ever knit this pattern again, though I’d only knit the cuff 7 inches instead of the called for 8… they are pretty tall. Also I’d probably want to knit the foot a little bit longer – perhaps 1 pattern repeat. They are pretty tight on my foot lengthwise. Oh well… live and learn.
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Next up? All of my fiber purchase from the Great Lakes Fiber Festival. I did good.

10 comments:

  1. These look wonderful! I must try this pattern. Your pictures are breathtaking! Truly. Looking at them makes me want to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay - the spring socks turned out great! and the pics of the falls tell me i definitely have to check it out there sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great weekend to be out, that's for sure. I go to the parks a lot, but usally to run or bike. I've never hiked through - I've got to try that sometime! Your pictures are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wondeful weekend and what great socks! A case where the pattern and yarn are perfect together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Brandywine falls. It's so pretty out there.

    You guys like to hike? You SOOOOO, have to get into geocaching. I think you would love it!

    Love the socks. So, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurray on finishing those socks! They really look wonderful.
    Can't wait to hear what you got at the Wooster show. See mine at http://briarrosefibersknitalong.blogspot.com/
    Ludmilla & I had our eye out for you Saturday, but we were seriously distracted by all the great stuff for sale! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:19 PM

    Socks are beautiful. Great pictures of the hike as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got to get to Brandywine Falls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:07 PM

    Your socks are beautiful!
    I'm going to have to talk the boys into a longer walk next time we're at CVNP b/c I'd like to see those falls in person. I wonder if they're seasonal? We usually come up a couple times a year to visit Hale Farm & Village near Peninsula, and ride the train through the park. We've taken short walks, but the boys are just almost 3 and almost 5, so short walks are about all we can do still, unless we have a kid backpack. Thanks for visiting my blog, and for your support of my rant!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're Gorgeous! And that hike looks lovely too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...