January 18, 2008

Socks are Love.

Ok first of all. You know that point on the drunken continuum where you think you’re really clever and amusing and maybe talk a lot? That’s exactly where I was with the last post. I was going to delete it but eh. It happens. And despite having a headache I totally made it into work on time and was a productive member of society today. Good thing I didn’t have any meetings. Actually to be completely honest if I did have a meeting or design review or anything that I needed to be extremely sharp for there’s no way I would have drank last night. That is NOT the way I roll. Responsible boozing is the only way to go.

Ok enough of that business on to the real content of the post – the last of the Christmas Knits. Remember these?
Swirl Socks
Those would be the Swirl Socks in Cider Moon Glacier in the colorway Lower Wacker Drive. They’ve been on the blog before… Anyways these were my traveling socks. I started them waaaay back in July on that trip to Toledo/Detroit and basically knit them wherever I went after that. Including all over Peru. I gave them to my mom for Christmas because I knew that she would appreciate both that they are knit out of a wonderfully rare yarn and that they were traveling socks.
Swirl Socks
And how fun it is that the swirls line up.
Swirl Socks


Plus last year she gave me her travel socks.

Swirl Socks

And she’s knit something crazy like 20 pairs of socks and has given all but a very few of them away (I think only one pair? That can’t be right. Mom do you seriously own only one pair of hand knit socks?). I actually own 3 pairs of her socks including these that she just gave me for Christmas:
Squished Grapes

Those would be some pattern from either Sensational Knitted Socks or the sequel knit out of Knitpicks Bare that I dyed for her last Christmas.
Squished Grapes

See how it all comes full circle?
Squished Grapes
I called the colorway Smashed Plums.

The toes are a different yarn b/c this is actually the second pair she got out of that skein. That’s A LOT of yardage!
Squished Grapes
They are completely beautiful but I was bit afraid to wear them because they aren’t superwash – mainly because this was just a test skein to learn how the whole dying process works – I figured this would be a throw away skein. Then I ended up liking the color so much I gave it to her anyways. I wore them for the first time yesterday to the cake/knitting/wine extravaganza and everyone was very impressed.

Thanks, Mom!

Ok I’m going to go curl up into a still hungover ball on the couch now and watch many episodes of It’s Always Sunny in Philladelphia. Perhaps even spooning the dog. Oh and if anyone is going to the Soft ‘n Sassy annual sale tomorrow say hi! I’ll be there at like 10:30ish!

12 comments:

  1. Drunk blogging! Ha, thank goodness I've never done that because that would be baaaaad. I am a slaphappy, silly confess it all to the world drunk.

    Lovely, lovely swirl socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gorgeous socks (both pairs!)! And I love It's Always Sunny... - I actually saw the IASIP promo bus parked at a gas station in Newark (here in Ohio) in September. It was the weirdest thing. If we hadn't've been on the expressway thingy, I would've stopped and checked it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:02 PM

    Aw, trading socks with your mom for Christmas is just a lovely thought! You guys are special. ;) And they're both great pairs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The socks are beautiful and the drunk blogging fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're hilarious when you're drunk and on the loose with a keyboard. =) No worries.

    The socks are awesome! You're mom is very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The socks are wonderful!!
    I think they may just haven beat out the ones your mom gave you recently! ;op

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those socks and that Lower Wacker Drive color way is a amazing!! And as I am a drunk dialer, well, I say keep the cocktails coming, sister!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:24 PM

    I've been struck by lowe wacker drive jealousy! Very cool socks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:56 PM

    :-) My pleasure! I LOVE my swirl socks too and you are right. travel socks do have a very special meaning.
    For anyone interested, the smashed plum pattern was the very easy "openwork rib" in the four stitch rib patterns section of Sensational Knitted Socks. I took stock - I now own 3 pairs of hand knit socks counting my swirl socks and I gave away 12 pair last year! I have decided this year is going to be all about ME!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:27 PM

    Very pretty socks! So what did you buy at the Sale??

    ReplyDelete
  11. All socks are beautiful!! But I love that pink toe! It gives the sock "a personality"!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:58 PM

    Both of those socks are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...