January 3, 2008

Irish Hiking Set

So I finally finished the Mmmmalabrigio Irish Hiking Scarf that I’ve been working on forever:
Irish Hiking Scarf
Just in time to give it to Carolyn (my bro’s girlfriend) for Christmas.
Irish Hiking Scarf

I also knit a hat to go with it:
Irish Hiking Hat

I started with the Palindrome hat loving how it incorporated the cables just on the rim…however a few rounds into it I realized that the cables are not perfectly centered on the ribs. I understand why the cables can’t be centered in order to make the pattern completely reversible but it was driving me crazy. I need things to be centered and symmetrical and perfect and even. OCD is my friend! So yeah... I started over using the cable and rib pattern from the Basic Cables Hat in Stitch ‘n Bitch Nation, then when I was 3 repeats in I switched to the directions for the body of the Palindrome hat.

Irish Hiking Hat

Best of both worlds, I think. Centered cables and squisy ribbing. Also? Love how the decreases work with the ribs - details like that in designs always make me happy:
Irish Hiking Hat
Carolyn loved the set and I’ve seen her wearing it several times. Actually I’ve been standing next to her when other people complimented it so I know it’s a success!

Oh and the yarn is Malabrigo in the colorway Oceanos. I used just under 3 skeins with size 9 needles for the scarf, size 8 for the hat.
Irish Hiking Hat and Scarf
So that’s 4 of the 5 things I made for people for Christmas...I’ll try to post the last one tomorrow!

15 comments:

  1. Those look really warm and comfortable. I love the varigation on the Malabrigo.

    I made a Basic Cable hat to go with my Irish Hiking scarf, but now I want a Palindrome hat instead! I really like the cables on just the rim as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm...I love Malabrigo.

    Very nice gift you gave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty!!! I need to have things even and matchy too. I see nothing wrong with that. Why does everyone find it so strange????? OCD never hurt anyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! They look so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh pretty. I'm amazed at how well the cables came out in a non-solid yarn. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:59 AM

    Mmmmmmalabrigo! Gotta love it. That color is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That set turned out beautifully. I haven't worked with Malabrigo, but after seeing all your fabulous FOs in it, I need to consider it for a forthcoming project.

    As for the stranded knitting goal in your prior post, I'd suggest you just leap in with something simple. I've just gotten to the point where I think I can do stranded knitting neatly, and it took patience to learn to knit "the other way" (English, for me). I started with mittens, which I think is a good first project because it is just a simple tube of average size. DK weight yarn (I used Heilo) is easy to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful set! It's awesome to hear the compliments first hand. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:42 PM

    Beautiful set! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Malabrigo is so lovely to knit, that's what I'm using right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MmmmmmmMalabrigo! One shop here in town has it, and I'm thinking I might need some for mittens.

    Your set for Carolyn is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:06 AM

    It's beautiful. Love the colorway. Ahh to be by the ocean in warm weather right now. Bah humbugger...snow, ice, rain, cold, runny nose. Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That set is absolutely gorgeous! Love how you centered the cables on the hat brim.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That yarn is yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...