July 13, 2011

Citizen Shawl and Girl Scout Camp

Just a quick reminder that Destination Yarn will be at River Colors Studio this Saturday for the Ohio Fiber Day!!!

So I was a Girl Scout for many, many years. I went on the field trips, did the crafts, sold cookies to everyone I knew, and can still recite the pledge* I even went to camp several years in a row:
girls scout camp
My cousin Angela and I at Camp Crowell Hilaka**. Judging by my glasses, fannypack, and the prevalence of neon I'm guessing this was taken somewhere right around 1990.
Most of the songs I sing to my children are songs from Girl Scout Camp. Even if now that I'm an adult I realize how wildly inappropriate some of them are.** I credit at least part of my interest in travel, camping, and adventure to the time I spent at camp.

So when I dyed up my most recent batch of Girl Scout Camp I snagged a skein for myself before it could sell out again. By the way this colorway sells I'm guessing quite a few of you out there had great big Brownie Smiles.
That or it's just pretty. One of the two.
And I used it to knit a Citizen Shawl:
Citizen Shawl
Citizen Shawl
I love it when the yarn matches the pattern name like that. For example Sunshine socks in the Florida colorway. So a Citizen Shawl out of Girl Scout Camp? Makes me unreasonably happy.
Citizen Shawl
So did ending with only 10 grams of yarn left. I love one skein projects that use the entire skein of yarn.
Citizen Shawl
I wasn't happy with the 6 rows at the end, though. I wish the pattern had said that the sample shawl did not include those rows. The edging just seems really bulky to me with all that going on. One or 2 rows would have been plenty.
Citizen Shawl
I do love how the lace pattern makes the plain part scallop, though. So we'll call the pattern a win overall.
Citizen Shawl
While I was blocking it I went ahead and reblocked my Traveling Jeanne shawl for the 3rd (!!!) time. It's ridiculous how much I wear that shawl.
Citizen Shawl
Seeing the two of them together reminded me of perhaps the most ubiquitous song of my Girl Scout Career:

Make New Friends
Citizen Shawl

But Keep the Old
Citizen Shawl

One is Silver and the other Gold.
Citizen Shawl
I think I'm going to enjoy my new friend as much as I do the old one.

STATS:
On Ravelry: Girl Scouts are good Citizens Shawl
Pattern: Citizen Shawl
Yarn: Destination Yarn Sock Yarn Postcard – a super-soft blend of Merino and Nylon.
Colorway: “Girl Scout Camp”
Mods: None
If I could do it again: Wouldn't knit the 6 rows at the end.
Verdict: I see myself wearing this one all the time so WIN.

*On my honor I will try to Serve God and my country to help people at all times and to live by the Girl Scout Code. I totally typed that w/o the google. Hells Yeah.

**I recently learned that Crowell Hilaka is closing. Completely bummed me out. Felt like an old friend had passed away. I'm hoping that there are other Girl Scout Camp options available when my daughter is old enough to go.

*** WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST! You can reward yourself with a sleeve of Thin Mints if you can tell me what song that's from.

9 comments:

  1. OMG! I had that COSI camp shirt your cousin is wearing! Granted, I got mine at Unique Thrift like 10 years ago and not on the COSI sleepover but...!! And the yarn is beautiful! I love the subtle pink accent with the lovely greens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait fornSaturday! I really need me some sunburn! And maybe Girl Scout Camp too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a great big brownie smile just waiting for a post like this! lol
    But do you know the Pink Pajama song? It's a doosie!
    I love the pic of the Traveling Jeanne on the fence, behind the Citizen Shawl on the line. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Women and children first"? Hmm. I think you may need to sing this for me. The version I know doesn't include this line. Just classics like "Uncles and aunts, little children lost their pants".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny we're totally talking about the same song...

    something about the sides about to burst when someone shouted WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST

    Oh it was sad when the great ship went down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leslie5:24 PM

    Oh, they built the ship Titanic to sail the oceans blue / They said it was a ship that the water couldn't go through/ But the good Lord raised His hand and said it'd never land / It was sad when the great ship went down.

    Oh, it was sad, so sad, it was sad, so sad, it was sad when the great ship went down (to the bottom of the . . .) / Children and wives lost their lives, it was sad when the great ship went down (way down).

    I remember the moment at the camp when we learned this song and where I was sitting at Camp Singing River! Isn't that a great name for a Scout camp? Pretty macabre song for little scouts, eh?

    Did you learn the Kookaburra Song, too?

    PS. I love this yarn and it has been sitting in my stash waiting for the right project. Perhaps I have found it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love when I see a pattern that works with such a fantastic variegated yarn. *Sigh* It WAS a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a girl scout for 8 years and it was a big part of my life during middle school. My mother probably has a very similar photo of me with those lovely 90s glasses. (I'll be 30 next month, so we're about a year apart.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...