January 13, 2009

Buried in snow and knitting.

So we got buried this weekend. Which I totally used as an excuse not to leave the house from Friday until Monday. All we did was clean and knit/play video games. Matt didn’t even attempt to dig us out until late Sat night. Here’s what our backyard looked like on Sunday afternoon:
backyard in the snow
And a few more pics for my grandpa in Florida who every day compares notes by the pool about the weather back home:
backyard in the snow
backyard in the snow
And another shot from this morning:
snow
When it was snowing, again. But you know what? I liked the weather induced downtime. It’s nice to be snowed in once in awhile – social life be damned. Our house is shiny, another big closet is cleared out to make room for Gizmo, and I finished a whole pile of projects that I’ve been meaning to get to. That is an awesome weekend.

So on to the knitting – I had two pairs of socks that were knit except for 1 foot and 1 toe. Seriously. ADD much? But when I went back to finish them up I discovered that with both pairs the finished sock didn’t fit. Both were too short. Which means one of 2 things:

1.) I was impatient knitting the first one and started the toe too early – and made that same mistake twice in a row.
2.) My feet have grown during pregnancy

I’m going to assume it’s option 1 because the alternative is horrifying. Regardless with both pairs I ripped out the toe of the finished sock, added some length, and tried again. By the end of the weekend I had two pairs of new socks!
Copenhagen Test Socks
The first pair is in Destination Yarn Paris Day – here’s where I introduced and explained the colorway.
Paris Test Sock
The sock is just a plain old sock knit over 54 stitches on size 2 needles with a short row heel to preserve the stripy goodness.
Paris Test Sock
The second pair is my Orsund Bay Test Socks and was my test skein for the Copenhagen colorway. Here’s where I introduced that one.
Copenhagen Test Socks
With this pair I dyed one half of the skein on way and the other half another way just to see what would happen:

Copenhagen Test Socks
Fun with pooling and flashing! The pattern I used for the test knit was the Dublin Bay Sock.. Simple design but still pretty. I love the eye of the partridge heel:
Copenhagen Test Socks
Finishing up those two pairs means that I currently have no socks going. Which makes me a little crazy because what do I knit on the bus? So I pulled out every skein of sock yarn that I owned:
Every skein of sock yarn that I own
Enough yarn to knit about 12 pairs of socks. I maybe don’t need to buy any more sock yarn for awhile.
Every skein of sock yarn that I own
But I’m really torn. For awhile these two were front runners:
Sock Yarn Stash
The one on the left is Dream in Color Smooshy and would be used to knit something along the lines of the Earl Gray Socks for Matt… and the one on the right is Austermann Step and would be used to knit a pair of plain old striped socks for me.

But then I remembered this:
World Traveler
It’s a skein of Destination Yarn in a colorway that I have yet to release. I’m calling it “World Traveler” because it’s dyed from leftovers of other colorways:
World Traveler
I did a couple of different “World Traveler” batches and someday (hopefully soon along with a batch of Copenhagen) I will list it all… but for now I’m kindof tempted to use it for myself.

So what do you guys think? Which socks should I start next?
Sock Yarn Stash
Decisions, decisions…

11 comments:

  1. If yarn for 12 pairs is a lot, my sock yarn stash boarders on gluttony!! Seriously! Anyway, they are all great. But I vote for World Traveler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Karen, I vote for World Traveler also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. obviously world traveler. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:53 PM

    I love hibernating in my home when there is snow! Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:07 AM

    My sock stash is .. well TG it doesn't really count when you count how much you have in your stash. I think I just made some sort of confession there. Anyhow, your socks look fab. Stay warm it's gonna get a bit nippy out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another vote for World Traveler!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enough for 12 pairs and you're sweating it? Honey. We need to talk. 12 ain't nuthin'.

    I vote for the World Traveler. It's special(er)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really? That's ALL your sock yarn? I have enough to open a yarn shop compared to that! LMAO

    World Traveler, girlfriend, all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the orsund bays rock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the socks. I vote for world traveler.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...