January 9, 2009

The Christmas knitting.

So this year for Christmas I knit a shitload of slippers:
Unfelted Christmas Slippers
unfelted

Felted Christmas Slippers
felted

4 pairs in all.

One for my brother,
Unfelted Christmas Slippers

one for his girlfriend,
Unfelted Christmas Slippers

one for Matt’s brother,
Felted Christmas Slippers

and one for his girlfriend.
Unfelted Christmas Slippers
All of the yarn is stash yarn. It’s a combo of cascade 220, patons classic merino (some of it handdyed with kool-aid), and random wool from my grandma. I made the sets kindof matching – so the boy’s version was gray and a color while the girl’s version was greens with that color.

Andy/Carolyn:
Felted Christmas Slippers

Joel/Ellen:
Felted Christmas Slippers
So they go together without being too cutesy.

The pattern is from the book “Knit One Felt Too” which is a book I “borrowed” from my grandma several years ago. It’s a great pattern but mind numbing when repeated this much. I know they are appreciated which made the repetition and feeling that I would be knitting slippers for-ev-er worth it.
Felted Christmas Slippers
And that's about all I've got on that.

Oh yeah and I knit 2 hats, too. One for my brother:
Alpaca Hat
Which is the exact same hat I knit for him back in 2005. He has worn the ‘05 version completely out. It’s a mess – all pilled and bad looking. So I wanted to replace it – but guys tend to be creatures of habit. I didn’t want to mess with a good thing so even the stripe pattern is exactly the same. However, this time I used some very soft Alpaca and Lamb’s Pride Bulky which made for a much nicer hat. I knit a reverse version for my dad but it was gifted before I could even photograph it.

That was it for this year’s handmade gifts… and although we did a reduced Christmas in every way possible I was glad that I was able to at least make what I did. There’s nothing quite as special as receiving some thing someone made just for you.

8 comments:

  1. Good for you for cranking out 4 pairs of slippers and not going insane! The hat looks cozy too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The felted slippers are awesome.

    Doesn't it feel great to have a hat you knit worn to a pilled mess?

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great gifts! very lucky recipients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For cutesy non-matchy slippers! :o) Great idea!!

    And you are so right about guys being creatures of habit.

    Those were great gifts J!!

    So what are you knitting for the baby??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! I wonder if I have that book! I may have to knit up a pair of them (not 4 pairs though impressive)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the slippers! Those are some lucky girlfriends, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:35 PM

    Nicely knit gifts. They all look warm and cozy. If they don't appreciate them now (they probably do), they will by next week.. did you see the neg temps ? Oye!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great slippers. They looks so nice and warm.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...