June 21, 2008

Destination Yarn

One of my passions (other than knitting, of course) is travel photography. What I love about it is trying to capture with one image the entire feeling of a place. To take an entire city and condense it to one photograph, one moment - it’s enthralling. So lately I’ve started the process of scanning in our travel photographs from before the digital era.
Grundtvigs Kirke
rome2

Spending so much time sorting through photographs I started to think….

Could I do the same thing with yarn? Would it be possible to condense a place into a colorway?

So I ordered a ridiculous amount of a good base yarn and set out to create a series of yarn postcards - skeins of sock yarn that capture the sprit of a place in the same way that a photograph would.

The result has been just so much fun.
dye
Dye
But that’s not the big news. The big news is that with this experiment/concept I’m starting my very own Etsy shop:


Destination Yarn

For me this is a Very Big Deal since I’ve never sold anything I’ve made before and since I’m a bit of a perfectionist – especially when it comes to putting my name on a design. I’ve been working on this/debating doing this for months now. Seriously just creating my logo took way longer than it should have because I was certain that I wanted it to look like a vintage travel poster:
business-card-brighter
But now the fun part begins….

This week to celebrate both the start of Summer of Socks 2008 and the beginning of Destination Yarn I’m throwing myself a little launch party. I have 5 colorways to start with so all week I’ll be revealing them bit by bit. There’s also going to be a contest complete with fabulous prizes. Because no party would be complete with out favors!

Super exciting, right? I’ll post the first colorway and contest details sometime today!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:02 PM

    Uh oh... I can feel my pocketbook wincing in anticipation :) I think I'll be waiting for a "Cleveland" colorway, though!

    Congrats and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to see the destinations you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! SO exciting!!! I love the concept, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea!!! I love the whole theme - and it's so exciting that it's so fresh and new - I've never heard of another yarn line doing anything quite like this. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! How exciting..What a neat idea! Can't wait to see your colorways!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:54 PM

    Very neat. Good luck with the etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent concept. best of luck with the new venture.

    I'm very impressed that you are scanning your pre-digital pictures. I scan as needed - otherwise I fear all I would be doing is scanning pictures for the next 5 years!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...