February 15, 2011

Toddler Fracture

So toddlers fall down.  Alot.  And most of the time our kid just giggles, says BOOM, and goes back to playing.  If it scares her she might run over to me for a KISS. But sometimes toddlers fall and twist their leg.  And then this happens:
Toddler Fracture
Pictured:  Classic Toddler Fracture of the Tibia.
In other words, our little girl broke her leg on Sunday.  It wasn't in any dramatic accident with a ridiculous story to go along with it.  She was in our living room, rocking her baby doll, with both me and Matt right there, and lost her footing.  It was an incident so minor that at first we thought she was crying because she was overtired.  Obviously we figured it out when she wouldn't put any pressure on the leg and flinched whenever we touched it.  Even at the Emergency Room we were thinking more along the lines of "sprained ankle" than "Broken Leg"  But apparently this is a common thing for toddlers.  So much so that the actual injury is called a Toddler's Fracture.
Toddler Fracture
I can't believe how many MOONIES (movies) MOMMY is lettimg me watch!
Just because it's a common injury does not make it suck any less.
Toddler Fracture
Seriously I never get to watch this much tv ever.
So the good news:  The break is at the center of her tibia.  The fracture is not at a growth point so there will be no issues with growth or future problems with walking or anything like that.  It's a clean break so they didn't have to do any sort of surgery or put pins in or whatever to set it.  And her cast is PURPLE
Toddler Fracture
Also my PURPLE LEG does not prevent me from making COOKIES
The bad news:  She is now in a full leg cast and will be for the next 4-6 weeks minimum.  She can't walk on it at all - not something easy for a toddler who is always in motion.  And really not something easy for a mother who is 31.5 weeks pregnant and who has been having lots of back pain this time around.  Carrying her everywhere is just not possible for me at this point.  We're going to be stuck on the couch.  Alot.

Toddler Fracture
This is fun for today but good luck entertaining me TOMORROW.
Toddler Fracture
At least I have a tray to line up my TROLLS
Even though she has been in alot of pain she has been a complete trooper throughout this while thing.  She's one strong little girl.  She even told the guy who put on her cast THANKYOU BYEBYE when he left the room.  This is a horrible thing to have happened but she (and we) will get through it.
Toddler Fracture
CHEESE TROLL
Let's just hope it's closer to 4 weeks than 8.

13 comments:

  1. Oh no :( Sorry to hear this news! I hope its closer to 4 weeks too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:44 AM

    Oh, no! She looks pretty happy in the pictures, and that is one pretty purple cast. Maybe with all the couch time you'll get a lot of knitting done? [trying to stay positive] Good luck to all of you, and I hope she heals fast, for everyone's sake. - ConnieB

    ReplyDelete
  3. She will heal quickly...so sorry to hear that this happened though. Hang in there, you will all make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noooo! From the pictures it looks like you are doing a fantastic job keeping her mind off of it, though. I'm in awe (also in awe of the trolls and her HAIR! How darling is she??).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor thing! And poor you! It's going to be a LONG 4 weeks. Hope she heals fast and your back holds up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, no! I hope she's on the mend quickly . . .

    If it makes you feel any better, my husband broke his leg as a toddler, too and his parents didn't know it until he dragged himself down the stairs THE NEXT MORNING.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH NO! That is NO fun! I hope she heels up quickly and you keep your sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, Skip broke his foot when he was a toddler. He used to "play puppy", crawling around and making whimpering noises. It took his parents three days to notice something was wrong. But he turned out well enough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH NO! I had Toddler's Fracture when I was little - I was playing kangaroo and tripped on the rug. I remember getting a lot of presents, and feeling like I was banished to some tower (our living room couch). I still have vivid memories of "styling" my mom's hair and building play forts on the couch with my friends. (Though I don't remember what it was like to have a cast, or even if it hurt.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww poor girl! I do love the purple csst! Looks like there will be a lot of coloring and movies in your near future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, that sucks! My sister broke her thigh bone as an infant (crib accident) and my parents pulled her around in a wagon for a while. she was in a cast from ankle to waist though, with legs propped apart.

    Good luck to you! Is there any way you could hire a mother's helper for a few weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor kiddo. Kids heal quick. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well by now i guess you are done with this whole ordeal. she is back to being a happy active little girl? My daughter 2 1/2 just broke her leg On Tuesday. We are still in a splint and go in today to get her cast. I totally get the comment you made "although it is common it doesn't make it suck any less" That is so true! We are just getting started in our 6 week adventure, hoping for some good news today that its a clean break and a cast is all she is going to need. Thanks for your post, it made me smile! What a thing to go through.... Blah!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...