July 3, 2010

Introducing…

Dorothy Jane:
 07022010 003
Dorothy (Dottie for short) is a 1 year old Jack Russell Terrier / Basset Hound Mix.  We adopted her through the Multiple Breed / Jack Russell Rescue in Elyria, Ohio.

They had a really cool place for the dogs with a great big fenced in area that looked a little something like this:
DOG!!!!!
So. Many. Terriers!

Honestly, though, the terrier thing was pretty hard on both of us. It was like seeing a field full of almost-Dexters. Very heart-wrenching. One little guy in particular really did us in:
DOG!!!!!
The one on the left. His name is Romeo and he’s still up for adoption if you’re interested in bringing a super fun lapdog into your lives. I can speak from experience here: Rat terriers are the best.

But we didn’t want a Rat Terrier this time. Because then the comparisons would be inevitable. They already sortof are. But we’re not going to be able to replace Dexter.  He was too big a part of our lives and our story to even attempt that. Instead we needed to find a different type of dog that will fit our situation now:
07022010 015
Like me!

The hound in her means she’s a very different type of animal than we’re used to. She’s all nose:
07022010 021
Where’s the bunny. I smell a bunny.

Yes.  Her ears are lopsided.  I have a feeling that's one of those Velveteen Rabbit things that once we love her will destroy us with the cute.
07022010 010
It already kindof does.

The big thing – the most important thing – is that our daughter loves her. The first time we met Dorothy she immediately went for her and licked her face. Giggles all around. The ride home was hilarious, too…
DOG!!!!!
SEE! DOGGIE!

DOG!!!!!
Where did my doggie go?! BRING BACK MY DOGGIE!!!!

DOG!!!!!
Ooooh there’s my doggie. Want a hairclip?

She won Matt over, too:
DOG!!!!!
Let’s just walk awhile and get to know each other before we make any decisions…

I kindof get the feeling that she’s going to be his dog. She definitely thinks he’s the alpha in our little herd.

She’s such a chill dog.  Perfect for a family.  I love this series of pictures where Dorothy is in exactly the same place while the little girl is all flailing about:
07022010 005
This is my doggie.


07022010 006
I be nice to doggie.


07022010 008
Pet Pet Pet.


Her backstory is that she was a puppy in a household with two other dogs. One of the dogs beat up on her. So she wound up in the pound. Luckily she’s awesome and the people at the pound loved her. So she stayed alive long past her time. Then she was rescued which lead her to us. Her only apparent issue from her past is that she’s a bit skittish around her food. If you get near her when she’s eating she RUNS AWAY GAH GAH GAH. But I’m sure she’ll get over that now that she’s an only dog.

So far what we know about her is that she’s super playful – but not obnoxious. She’s very agile for being so squat. You wouldn’t think it to look at her but she’s got mad hops. Definitely half terrier. She loves playing fetch with either a stick or a tennis ball. She disembowels stuffed things fairly quickly:
07022010 029

And she’s incredibly food motivated:
DOG!!!!!
What. The kid wasn’t eating her breakfast so I thought I’d try to sneak in her place.

Also she matches our child.
07022010 031
Yeah. I know that I unconsciously match myself to the kid pretty frequently – I’ve been doing it since the beginning and I’ve finally just accepted that I’m a color driven person. Some days I feel like purple, others green or whatever so we both end up in that color. I didn’t think that extended to matching our pet to our child, though:
07022010 032
Yay Redheads!!!

07022010 033
We are going to be the best of friends.

I think we’ve found our dog.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations, I'm glad you found each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you!!!! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sounds like the perfect dog for your fam. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! I'm so glad for you! (I love that you do the matching thing too. I thought it was just me.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww...she's so cute! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!! It's always a wonderful thing when things work out so well. Dorothy seems to found her family and you seem to have found a new addition to the household!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats, girlie! can't wait to meet dottie in dog (person)!! she's adorable and i love the pics of her and her new lil red-headed person :)

    ps.. i also am VERY color driven and match ash very often without realizing it lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Welcome, Dottie! And yay that they match. . .a match made in Cleveland heaven! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! so happy for you all!! I'm sure Dottie will fit right in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "There's no place like Home." Congrats ya'll on your new family member! Ya know, first comes sharing hair barrettess, next comes sharing clothes and trading nail polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww they look so cute together!! I'm so happy you found a new addition to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww you got another dog! I'm so happy! Looks like she's gonna fit in perfectly :) Adopted dogs are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all the pictures! And Dottie is awesome, thanks for giving her an amazing home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christine Mouw7:47 PM

    MY GOODNESS! We have a rescue dog and we guessed that Henry was a Basset JRT mix. Your Dorothy and Hank could almost be twins (except Henry has brown on only one eye.) The photo from the back of Dorothy could be Henry. He is a JRT on a Basset body and has a basset personality with JRT smarts. Great dog. Does yours "talk" at you a lot? (or maybe that is some other mix in ours) Thank you for posting photos. We've been looking for photos of basset/JRT mixes for some time and finally found one that looks like him! Thanks! (BTW: Henry Mouw (in Little Rock Arkansas) has a Facebook page if you want to see photos....)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...