October 23, 2014

Girls' Weekend Tote.

So.  We're 8 days out from Halloween.  And I should be making costumes.  My sewing table is covered with blue and yellow felt and I have a whole task list of things to make and I just.... MEH.  BLAH.  BLERG.  I don't know.  Maybe I burned out last year after making Twilight Sparkle?  Or maybe I still have trauma from the Maleficent Debacle?  Maybe it's just crafting ADD?  Whatever the reason I just can't get into it this year.  Instead I made this:

Girls Weekend Bag
Because given the choice between making something my kids will wear for a day or making myself a kicky new tote bag for an upcoming girls weekend, well...

Girls Weekend Bag
YUP.

I mean, really.  I haven't been on a girls weekend in.... ever?  And we're leaving for Put-In-Bay tomorrow and obviously I needed something fun to bring my knitting in:

Girls Weekend Bag
The bag is made out of some grey denim that I snagged from my grandma's fabric stash.  The pink polka dot fabric is leftover from my mom's SuperTote.

Girls Weekend Bag
The "pattern" is inspired by Dana Made It's Boxed-Out Tote Tutorial.  I actually had the denim part made already as it was supposed to be the Dude's school bag.  But then I decided I liked it too much to give to a 3.5 year old.  I made him a cars one instead:

First Day of Preschool!
Cars on the outside?  Green on the inside?  BEST MOMMY EVER.
The pockets are lined, interfaced, and piped, because details like that make a bag oh so much better:

Girls Weekend Bag
PIPING!

Girls Weekend Bag
I thought about adding a magnetic closure but didn't.  Because without it the entire thing is reversable:

Girls Weekend Bag
The gray pocket was repourposed from the Tote for Teacher.  I made the pocket and decided I didn't like it on the chevron fabric.  It found new life here:

Girls Weekend Bag
The pink pocket was supposed to go into my mom's SuperTote.  But I decided not to use it - the rectangle is a bit bjiggity and gifts need to be perfect.  For a tote for me, though?  Totally good enough:
 

Girls Weekend Bag
Yay for reusing something I already had finished!  And super yay for girls' weekends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...