December 9, 2013

Ohio Dance Theatre: The Nutcracker.

So.  The Nutcracker is one of my favorite holiday traditions.  So when Ohio Dance Theatre asked me to write about it I was SUPER EXCITED:

They invited me and several other bloggers to a preview event on Fri. night.  We got to see a couple of the dances up close in their studio and then mingle with them afterwards:
Cleveland Nutcracker Preview
Cleveland Nutcracker Preview
Literally as I was walking out the door to the event another blogger tweeted that she was bringing her daughter.  I didn't hesitate.  I snatched my poor girl from the movie her and he brother were enjoying, threw a dress on her, and ran out the door:

Our girls having so much fun at @ohiodancetheater #clevelandnutcracker event! @kakaty @moninaw @ohiodanceorg
The Ka-ka-ka-katy, being Mom2Amara, and Life in Cleveland daughters.
See the girl has been obsessed with ballet since she started taking lessions.  Obsessed.

First ballet class of the year. Excited doesn't even begin to describe it. She's been looking forward to today for weeks.  #girlmom #ballet
She flits about the house in her practice shoes (slippers that look like ballet shoes - she's not allowed to wear her real ballet shoes out of dance class).  She's forever watching Angelina Ballerina and trying to do the moves.  And sometimes when you ask her to do something she responds with a curtsey.  Seriously.  So this event?  BLEW HER MIND:

How to make a 4yo ballerina happy. #clevelandnutcracker @ohiodancetheater
how to make a 4yo ballerina wannabe very, very happy.
They performed several of the country dances for us along with the dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.

Cleveland Nutcracker Preview
Cleveland Nutcracker Preview
Cleveland Nutcracker Preview
When the Sugar Plum Fairy came out in her full tutu my girl turned to me, gave me a wide-eyed smile, sat up straighter, smoothed her dress, and crossed her hands in her lap all serious like.  Because BALLERINA.

Cleveland Nutcracker Preview
After the dances we had a chance to mingle with the dancers. They all have such interesting stories.  Some of them are from northeast Ohio, some from as far away as Texas.  All of them were incredibly enthusiastic and passionate about what they do.  And all of them were really sweet with my girl - one even showed her a new dance move.

Cleveland Nutcracker Preview
We were talking about costume changes - there's alot in the Nutcracker - and I asked the deep question I'm sure everyone is wondering:  How do you keep your hair in a bun with all of those costume changes?

Cleveland Nutcracker Preview
THIS.
Yeah.  That's alot of bobby pins and hair spray.  One dancer told me that she once counted 65 pins in her hair.  That's intense.

We are going to see the full performance of the Nutcracker by Ohio Dance Theater on December 20.  I can't wait.  Based on the preview I think this is going to be a fantastic rendition.

Cleveland Nutcracker Preview
See the Nutcracker is a ballet that is very open to interpretation.  Each company has a completely different take and sometimes even uses different pieces of music.  I wrote more about that here.  See back in the day - when I didn't have all these kids - my mom and I would travel each year to see a Nutcracker performance.  And one decent crucible for if the performance was good is ribbons:  If the Chinese Dancers have ribbons?  It's a safe bet the rest of the performance is awesome, too.

Cleveland Nutcracker Preview
I have only terrible pictures of this dance b/c I was mesmerized by the ribbon.
According to the dancers the ribbons are super fun.  And also build up your arm muscles.  Which I thought was hilarious since these ladies are basically made of muscle.  Another reason I think this performance is going to be a good one - Guest Artist Daniel Ulbricht is coming in from the New York City Ballet.  He will be dancing the pas de deux which is my absolute favorite part of this ballet.  I can't wait!

If you want to see the Nutcracker with Ohio Dance Theatre performances run from Dec 20-22.  You can purchase tickets here.  Such a fun holiday tradition!

Cleveland Nutcracker Preview
Disclaimer:  I was invited to attend this event as a blogger.  I received a gift bag as well as tickets to see The Nutcracker.
Cleveland Nutcracker Preview
bonus pic of my girl and I goofing around while I was cleaning off the car for the drive home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...