February 1, 2013

Siblings and Snow Days.

So.  Today is a snow day!  The first official school cancellation due to snow since I've had school aged kids.  She missed a few days with Sandy but that wasn't an actual snow day.  So to mark such an occasion and keep with the spirit of Snow Days I was thinking we would bake, do some valentines crafts, maybe get out the play dough, and really spend the day all playing together.  Except that my kids currently want nothing to do with me.  Because they have discovered that a sibling is the best thing in the world:
cheese!
It's adorable how close they've been lately.  When they are both home they are basically inseparable:

Bc sometimes the best thing in the world is just to play under the dining room table w your sibling. #siblings #kids #happy
Playing under the dining room table with a sibling is the BEST!
I usually get up and shower before the kids are up but SNOW DAY!  I decided to sneak one in when I heard my son stirring thinking that I'd be quick and out before he wanted out of his crib.  But just in case I gave my daughter these instructions: "If your brother starts crying while I"m in the shower bring him some books and keep him amused.  I'll be right out." Done and done:
Snowdays and Siblings

Yes.  She had FILLED his crib with every board book in his room and then climbed in after him. 
Snowdays and Siblings

 I... don't even know what to say.  They were both so happy I left them there while I got dressed.  I'm guessing this will not be the last time this happens.  Especially when they start sharing a room.

Snowdays and Siblings

Snowdays and Siblings

I think part of it is that they both have lives of their own now.  She's in school and he's got a whole network of friends/playgroups that don't include her.  It took him awhile to gain the confidence to socialize and play without his sister there leading the way for him.  But now that he has they both really enjoy their time apart - and have become closer because of it:

Snowdays and Siblings
Watching the snowplow in my neighbor's driveway.
Snowdays and Siblings
It was thrilling.
And let me show you the zoomed out view.  The dog is almost always right there as a part of the action.  She might as well be a third sibling at this point:
Snowdays and Siblings

So if they'd rather play together than bake or craft or whatever under my direction I'm more than fine with it.  I waived my "Put one thing away before you take out the next thing" rule - it is a snow day after all - and they are having a blast playing with ALL OF THE TOYS.  Together.  I love it.

Untitled
My house is TRASHED but everyone is happy.  Life is good.
Edited to add: As I was writing this post my Dude decided he wanted to wear his bear outfit.  So of course his sister wanted her Merida costume on.  So now they are running around the house as Merida and her brother bear:

Untitled
TOO MUCH CUTE I CAN'T HANDLE IT OMFG....
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...