March 24, 2009

Week one powerball winner

First of all - thanks so much for all of the well wishes! I haven't quite had time to process it all or reply just yet but it means so much hearing from all of you!

So today is the baby’s (still not sure if I’m going to use her name on the blog or what – don’t want her 2nd grade classmates to google her and have a full and mockable history of her life) one week birthday and honestly it feels like we’ve won the baby lottery.
headed home

She is just so … perfect.

It’s cliché, I know. But I just can’t even tell you how wonderful she is. And I’m so afraid to even say this in case I jinx it and the music changes, she start screaming inconsolably, spits out the boob, and sprouts a 666 birthmark but….

She sleeps like a champ. Or as good as you can expect a newborn too. Nursing hasn’t been too big of a problem (more on all of that later). And overall we’re starting to feel pretty ok about this parenting thing.
What she's doing right now
I also might be high on post pregnancy hormones, caffeine, and percocet.

Or it might have something to do with this:
IMG_6620
Headed home from the hospital

Matt is amazing. I am so, so lucky. He is just as capable, willing, and happy to care for her as I am. He’s even gotten pretty good at multitasking:
multitasking
And it’s not just the baby he’s taking care of. I’ve been… sore. To say the least. Labor was pretty damn rough (more on that later, too).

And after we got home he presented me with a pair of aquamarine earrings. Our daughter’s birthstone. To wear to all of her big life events.
Daddy
Yeah. I’ve won the family powerball.


we still love him
What about me? I’m awesome, too!

21 comments:

  1. Makes me tear up a little. How awesome is matt?! it is nice to feel grateful right? What a wonderful start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! I'm a little teary too. Week 1 looks like it's been really rewarding for you both. Er, 3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful for your hubby to be so supportive in his family which is the way it should be. She is absolutely gorgeous and for the first month they generally sleep a lot. After that is anyone's guess but my son used to sleep all night and wake for a feed and then go back to sleep. I was blessed, but then my daughter made up for all that goodness by being a dreadful sleeper by 5 weeks and we found out later that lactose intolerance was the cause. If we had of known that at the start things would have been a lot easier, so I say a happy baby is a good baby and a good sleeper and I am sure she will bring much happiness to your lives. Just a hint about the soreness, try lying on the couch with your legs raised as it does help a lot, probably not straight away but it does make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww! precious. Parenthood is pretty wonderful Huh? Love the multitasking pic of Matt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:47 AM

    How sweet!

    Re: usage of name. You know by the time she gets to second grade, she'll be manning her own facebook and myspace sites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:49 AM

    Oh. Forgot to add - what a guy that Matt is! You deserve the earrings and he deserves accolades too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are truly blessed! May the blessings keep coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter and dog are so cute! I have four pets that will tested in two months - when our baby arrives. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time! I'm glad to hear you're doing well with everything and that you have a good sleeper! And I bet anything, I'll have a pic of my hubby doing the same multi-tasking abilities. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww... what a cuties! It's wonderful to hear that everything is going great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photos! How does the puppy like his baby sister? I bet they'll be pals. Matt is too funny. What's he playing? Our son is already a gamer, thanks to John and the PS3. And good idea on the no name on blog theory. I slip often but I try to keep our son's name off of mine too.
    Luck and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love love love the photo of the daddy 'taking care' of the baby as he plays x-box...that is SO me! love it....congrats....i'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:20 AM

    Very sweet! I especially like the pic of your hubby, the baby and the dog - how cute! Hope you are feeling better soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite picture is the one of Matt the dog and the baby. But considering who her parent's are and their friends, I think mocking is inevitable. She'll just be head of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jeanne! How sweet of Matt to get you the earrings?! That's awesome! ANd I love dexters poutiness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is so pretty! You sound like a pretty lucky lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my ZOD, she is cute! And such a good little baby! How can I order me one of those?

    Wait, you don't want to embarrass her in front of her friends later? I'm pretty sure that's listed in the Parenting Book of Requirements. At least, it was in *my* parents' Book of Requirements...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous7:20 PM

    Whatta great hubby you've got there. The pics are adorable. I wondered how Dexy was taking to the new girl in da house. I think those two are gonna be best buds.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL @ Tiennie on manning on FB!

    Congratulations on Nidea!!!! She is beautiful and I am so happy you and her are doing just fine!

    You indeed won the family powerball!!

    Continue to be blessed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous6:28 AM

    Congratulations! She is beautiful, and your hubby looks so comfortable with her. You have the perfect family, and I'm so happy for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. you've got a fabulous hubby, doggy and baby girl on your hands!

    ps - tell matt to enjoy the video game time w/ the babe while he can...i showed j the pic and he said 'yeah, i remember those days...now she's way too wiggly' lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. She is absolutely beautiful. (And so is your pup!) Enjoy every minute and pay attention while time flies by. She'll be asking for the keys to the car before you know it!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...