September 3, 2008

Details and Pictures!

Thanks so much for all of your well wishes!!! And can I just say how excited I am to finally tell you guys? Having something that huge going on in my life and not being able to blog it was really weird. Glad that part of this adventure is over now. So to answer some of your questions…

1.) How far along are you?

As of today I am at 12 weeks and 3 days (according to the voodoo that is pregnancy math). So according to some of the books I’m now in the second trimester… although according to others I still have a week to go so who knows.

2.) When is the baby due?

My official doctor sanctioned due date is March 15. The Ides of March. Which makes his very geeky parents happy. Also all of my friends have taken to calling him/her Caesar which is pretty hilarious considering it’s hard to rule the entire Roman Empire when you’re only a few inches long.



Other fun potential birthdays:
March 9: Matt’s b-day
March 17: St. Pat’s – which would make my Irish grandma very happy
March 22: My brother’s birthday

Overall I think March is the perfect time. While it means I’m out for ski season this year I won’t ever have to be huge when it’s hot out. Let’s just hope that there’s no big mid-March blizzard this year!

3.) How have you been feeling?

Pregnant. Yucky and pregnant. I’m hoping that I’ll get the second trimester energy burst soon and that the puking will stop but so far none of that has happened. I spend most of my time either throwing up, asleep, or knocked out with a migraine that I’m not allowed to take anything good for. Also knitting makes me dizzy which makes coping with spending most of my time on the couch just about unbearable. I’m starting to come out of it a little bit, though. At first my after work naps were 3-4 hours long. Now they are only an hour or two. And some days I can survive without napping at all! So perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel…

4.) Is it a boy or a girl? Will you find out?

Ok even though we have had an ultrasound we can’t find out yet. The pieces parts are just too small to see. We won’t be able to find out until our next ultrasound at around weeks 18-20 (sometime in late Oct).

We go back and forth on the finding out/not finding out thing. On one hand it would be nice to know… but on the other it just doesn’t matter. Happy and healthy is what matters not boy or girl. On one hand it would be fun to be a surprise but on the other it will be a surprise no matter when we find out. The big sticking point is that everything – even the big ticket items like strollers and cribs and stuff – seems to be geared towards either a boy or a girl. That makes us not want to know. Because – God willing – this will not be our only child. And it seems completely ridiculous to rebuy everything for the next one because it’s not the right color. So we’d much rather stick with neutrals for just about everything. But I’m afraid that once we tell everyone “It’s a girl!” or “It’s a boy” suddenly the floodgates of pink or blue will open. And we’re really not down with that.

We do have a little time to decide on this and I’m sure whatever conclusion we reach will be the right decision for us.

5.) How was your first ultrasound?

So. Much. Fun. So much fun. Once we got over the “is everything ok?! please just tell us everything is ok..” thing, that is. And so far everything is great. Check it out:
Ultrasound #1
That’s our kid!!! It was taken on August 20 – so two weeks ago. I’m sure they’ve grown since then…

At the ultrasound the baby was doing a little happy dance, squirming around like crazy. At one point he/she stopped dancing and waved one arm at us as if to say “Hi guys!” and then went back to their bouncy little dance. The doctor got a shot of the baby waving at us – and even added a little caption to it:
Ultrasound #1
Heh. Nice to prepare the baby for the inevitable captioning that will happen on this blog.
How about another shot:
Ultrasound #1
At this point the doctor commented on how long the baby’s arms are. So our baby is fidgety with long arms? Doesn’t sound like anyone I know at all… or you know...exactly like Matt.

Here’s where they measured the baby’s heartbeat:
Ultrasound #1
It was 184.6 which sounds insane but apparently they start out that fast and slow down later.

And one last picture for good measure:
Ultrasound #1
Blurry but adorable.

Ok I think that about catches me up. Hopefully I’ll be back to the blogging/knitting world soon!

20 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:46 PM

    Congrats! Big, big adventure coming your way! Fun & exciting times.
    Don't blink but do breathe. All the little things are so much bigger when it's your child doing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats again! Hope you'll be up to knitting with us again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it possible for a baby to be cute when it's only and inch and a half long? I think soooo!

    Just about every pregster I know (which at my age, is a lot) has told me that the first trimester morning-sickness phase does indeed suck, but once you cross over into the second, you're golden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for ultrasound pics! Little One is moving and grooving.

    I'm adding my birthday March 5th to the list, it's a fun birthday. And I second March 22nd. It was my Grandma Martha's birthday and is the first day of Spring.

    Very excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:37 PM

    Awww....such a cutie already!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the first ultrasound pictures! the baby beans are just so cute! :) Take the naps! I heart naps. I still take them everyday and I'm in my 3rd trimester, god know when we will actually get to sleep again once the baby is here.

    I'm a big advocate for not finding out but all those gift givers are going to give you a hard time for not finding out. So just ignore them. But even if you do find out you can still register for neutrals. There are lots of green and neutral big ticket items that are way prettier than most of the boy or girl versions.

    And go get the Baby Bargains book when you are ready to start researching all that stuff you will need to buy and register for. There's an overwhelming amount of stuff out there!

    Feel better soon! Pregnancy is fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was reading this through Google reader on the couch this morning. Your blog is in a folder named "knitting", which displays a the top of the screen while I am reading. My boyfriend caught a glimpse over my shoulder, saw the "knitting", saw the ultrasound picture and asked, horrified, if someone was going to make an ultrasound into a sweater! LOL, um, no, probably not. Although that might be a fun baby shower gift.

    And congrats again! I hope you are back amongst the knitting soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you should NOT find out the sex. From what I understand, it's really exciting that way. Our friends just gave birth to baby #2 and didn't know the sex until he was born. They were excited and so were the nurses/doctors because they didn't know what is was going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool - thanks for sharing all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  11. :) So amazing!!! I loved seeing all the pictures and getting all the details - thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:08 PM

    Ahh and what a cute little blur. So excited for you both. Are you baby registered anywhere yet? You've heard of the best offense is a good defense? yes?! You should start signing up on the diaper websites Huggies, Pampers,Gerber, etc to get a head start on those coupons, samples, etc. Also, http://www.upromise.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh apparently I'm behind! CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's so exciting! Eee!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a little late about the whole thing, but congrats, congrats, congrats! Also, your womb is kind of shaped like a jalapeno pepper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. March 15 is the day the buzzards return to Hinckley! That's much more important than the Ides of March :-) I can relate to the dizzy while knitting. Unfortunately mine is caused by motion sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous6:53 PM

    Thanks for sharing the sonogram pictures with us! Made me get all teary! I just love babies. Glad to hear things are going good with baby and sorry about your morning sickness, hopefully it will pass soon!

    Run over to my blog and check out today's entry.... there's a little something for you there.

    http://whimseyknits.lightshines.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Be sure to save all those pictures. Back in the "old days" when I had my son (who is about to be 24), I got only one ultrasound print. I just showed it to my son, along with his tiny footprint on the day he was born, and he couldn't believe either.

    I tended to favor primary colors for baby things, even though I decided to find out the sex. They're very cheerful and I think babies respond better to those colors initially.

    ReplyDelete
  18. just peeked back and realized i never commented on this post...u know how stinkin' happy i am for u and i can't wait to go thru this pregnancy w/ u like u've gone thru mine w/ me. i'm nearing the end and u will be at this point before u know it...reading blogs from 4-5:30am cuz u woke up w/ a backache or just couldn't sleep ;) seriously, though, this is such an exciting time! u know i can sympathize w/ u on the sickies cuz i'm at 30 days left and still nauseous on a daily basis...ugh. but everyone says it's all worth it and i'm sure it will be...stay tuned for that confirmation in a few weeks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh March 15 is my favorite brother's birthday. (don't tell my other three brothers I said that) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok, I go away for a bit and THIS happens? You have alot of explaining to do, young lady!

    Seriously, though, congratulations. This is absolutely wonderful news, and we'd better see alot of cute baby knits soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...