November 28, 2006

Thuja is just a Red Herring.

So right... let's get back to the knitting shall we?

Check out my "progress" on the second Thuja Kneesock:

Ok… so in case you haven’t noticed I’ve pretty much been exclusively posting about Thuja as far as knitting content goes… and those of you who know me know that I am NOT a monogomous knitter. Yeah….

I’m doing it again. I don’t know how this happened… I don’t know how I got back to this place….but I’m starting down the slippery slope that is The Christmas Knitting. I tried a different tactic swearing that I was only going to knit one big gift. One ginormous, extremely complicated, very intense shawl that I’ve been working on since June. Its for my grandma and knitting guru so it’s totally worth it…But then my brother asked for socks….And the edging of the shawl is really boring to knit and I’m an epic procrastinator. ‘Cause if I’m knitting other Christmas gifts then I’m not really procrastinating, right?

It’s been downhill from there.

I’m trying to initiate a few rules to maintain sanity this year:

  1. If they got a handknitted gift last year, they aren’t getting one this year (Mom) (Well ok so my brother who mocks my knitting more than anyone somehow is managing to get me to knit for him two years running. He did ask, though. I’m totally weak to requests for the knitting.)
  2. If I can’t think of anything fun to knit for them I’m not just going to knit something random just to include them (this pretty much eliminates all of the guys in my family) (unless any of you want a hat…hats are so universal and manly)(and that’s the thinking that got me into this situation in the first place. Forget the hats)
  3. I’m done now. Seriously. I’m not going to let myself think that I HAVE to knit for anyone. Whatever I have done that’s it. I’m not making lists (except this one), I’m not starting a million projects all at once, I’m just going to knit one thing at a time and consider myself done, done every time I finish a project.
  4. Other forms of craft do not technically count towards the Christmas knitting.
  5. Charity Knitting - it seems like nice way to spend my knitting time during the holiday season - so I'm going to try to do as much of this as I can. Even if it means that I can't knit gifts for people that I actually know.

We’ll see how sane I am come Dec. 23…Especially since this is starting to call out to me:


I so want to knit it for Matt…It just screams Matt… and the cables - they speak to me. I’ve never knit him a sweater before and I think that 2 years of marriage eliminates the sweater curse… plus I haven’t knit anything that big in a long time. There’s no way in hell I’d get it done by Christmas but it might be kindof fun to try! And if not his birthday is in March…. Have any of you knit anything out of the Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed before? I’ve heard good things about it but it’s kindof pricy…

6 comments:

  1. your rules sound good and i LOVE that sweater!! you are right...it would be perfect for matt!!
    ps - the sock looks good : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, good rules... I am sticking to only knitting for my mom, my dad and my brother. Thats it!
    I really like that sweater, too... if only I had a man to knit it for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had big plans to knit for everyone this year but as soon as I decide that what I'm knitting is for someone else, all my motivation evaporates. I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, you are SO much a better person than I am. I've YET to knit anything from Xmas, except for the 5 scarves and the hat that I made for teacher gifts last year. . . . .uh, OK, I guess that WAS xmas knitting. DAMN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors on the socks! I like your rules of knitting gifts! The purses I plan for my nieces 2 of htem have b-days in Jan! So if it's not done on time I can go for that goal!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey SP of olden days... I've knit two sweaters in a row in Jo Sharp Silkroad (regular) and am now knitting another in the tweed. It is not quite as soft, but is still definitely one of my favorites! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...