June 4, 2014

Tote for Teacher.

So!  My daughter is officially done with preschool.  How did that even happen?  Time... she flies.  Anyways I honestly can't say enough wonderful things about her school and teachers.  They were simply fantastic.  Engaging and exciting and we're really going to miss them.  So I wanted to give them an end of the year gift that didn't suck.  And you know what everyone needs and can appreciate?  A nice tote bag:

Chevron Tote for Teacher

Simple, useful, stylish.  BOOM.

Totes for Teacher
I sewed them up using some outdoor fabric that I got way marked down at JoAnn's when I went to buy the fabric for my mom's supertote.  The pattern was adorable.  I couldn't resist - even if I had no idea what I was going to do with it when I bought it.

Totes for Teacher
Mmmmmm... chevrons.
To make the totes I took that one yard length and cut it into thirds.  Then folded those pieces it in half to get my tote dimension. 

Totes for Teacher

3 totes out of one cut of 60% off fabric.  YES.  I still need to make the third tote but go ahead and throw that one on my someday pile.

I used the instructions for a boxed out tote on Made.  Great tips in that tutorial!

Totes for Teacher
love the boxed out bottom!

But then I added in my own details.  I used the same dimensions and top stitching for the straps as in the Supertote:

Totes for Teacher

Adding in a pop of color underneath:

Totes for Teacher
NEON AND CHEVRONS OH MY!

Then I reinforced the straps with a line of angled stitches to mimic the chevrons:

Totes for Teacher

 I used french seams throughout so that they are completely finished inside.

Totes for Teacher

 It's all in the details, people.

Totes for Teacher

 The pink handled one is more boxed out than the green and the green one has a shorter handle:

Totes for Teacher
Just because I was experimenting.  I like them both.

Yay teacher totes!

Also just as an extra fun bonus picture... my daughter on her first day of preschool and her (almost) last day.

School
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...