April 30, 2013

The Lodge at Geneva-On-The-Lake, a perfect mini getaway.

So you guys know the pace we've been keeping lately.  And you know how much I love Lake Erie.  So when The Lodge at Geneva-On-The-Lake contacted me about coming for a stay I was all YES.  AND THEN SOME MORE YES.

Geneva on the Lake 2013
Geneva on the Lake 2013

I love Geneva-on-the-lake.  I've gone the last couple of summers when my dad moves his boat from Cleveland to the marina in Geneva State Park (which is right next to the lodge, incidentally) when the fishing heats up there in August.

082611 017
Random picture of my dad's of a fish he caught near the lodge sometime last year.
Previously we've either come up for the day or stayed with my parents in the Geneva State Park Cabins. Spending most of the time just hanging out on the beach:

geneva 2010
2010.

IMG_6293
2011.  This is one of my fav pictures of the kids ever.

Geneva 2012
2012.
But I've never gone without kids and I've never stayed at the lodge.  So I was super, crazy excited about this opportunity.  Because the Lodge?  is BEAUTIFUL:

Geneva on the Lake 2013

Seriously this was the view from our room:

Geneva on the Lake 2013
We left on Thursday after work.  Probably didn't get on the road until after 6:30.  It took us just under an hour to get there from my parents' house in Lakewood (where we ditched the kids).  We made it in plenty of time to eat dinner at their Horizons Restaurant while watching the sun set over the lake:

Geneva on the Lake 2013
Dinner with a view for the win!
Dinner was spectacular.  They do a flight of local wines from the Ferrante winery which seemed like a solid plan.  Especially since this allowed the pregnant me to try a bunch of wines and still only drink a glass or two total:

Geneva on the Lake 2013
YES.

All of the food was amazing, too:
Untitled
And we didn't even try what our waiter told us was their specialty:  Lake Erie catches.  Mainly because on Friday we had plans to go to a fish fry at my dad's house which would consist of fish caught... in Geneva.  Hmmmm.

The next day we enjoyed the complete luxury of no kids waking us up.  I also enjoyed a cup of delicious coffee (they have a keurig in each room!  I was pretty excited about this feature) on our balcony overlooking the lake:

Geneva on the Lake 2013
Uninterrupted coffee and a lake view.  HEAVEN.
So pretty.  We then headed back to Horizons for breakfast which was also delicious.  They have someone cooking omelets to order.  YES:

Geneva on the Lake 2013
Pictured:  How to make a pregnant woman happy.

After breakfast we decided to walk off all of the food along their walking path by the lake:

Geneva on the Lake 2013
Geneva on the Lake 2013
Geneva on the Lake 2013
Geneva on the Lake 2013

 The path runs from the hotel, past the marina, past the beach my kids were playing at above, to the cabins.  I believe the whole thing is 2 miles.  We didn't walk the length of it this time but I've done it when I was there in the summer and it is lovely.  It would be expecially lovely on a bike:

Geneva on the Lake 2013
Bike rental through the lodge.  If I wasn't super pregnant that is exactly how we would have spent this perfect spring day.

We debated enjoying some of the lodge's other amenities - more specifically the pool - but since the Ohio Wine flight we had with dinner was so delicious we wanted to check out some of the local wineries on the way home.

Geneva on the Lake 2013
Seriously look at this pool!  How amazing would it be to take a swim in this in January with the lake frozen in the background?


Geneva on the Lake 2013
Outdoor pool not open yet.

Geneva on the Lake 2013
Playground.  Glad we didn't need this one on this trip!

So the wineries.  I had an idea that there were wineries in Geneva area but... well... we've been to Napa and to the Fingerlakes.  How could Ohio Wine even compare?

Geneva on the Lake 2013
You know what?  I'm going to leave that one as a cliffhanger because this post has gotten WAY too long.  I'll post about the wineries tomorrow.  Instead let me wrap up by saying that it was a fantastic little mini-getaway.  The area is spectacular.  There's tons to do no matter what time of year it is.  And I would highly, HIGHLY recommend the Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake.

Geneva on the Lake 2013


Disclaimer:  The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake invited me to stay with them and post about the experience.  As always all opinions and photographs are my own and I would never post about something that I didn't believe in.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...