May 12, 2012

The Kentucky Derby!

So you guys a week ago I was at the Kentucky Derby.  Crazy, that.  I was only gone for 2 days but I have to admit it has taken me a bit of time to adjust to reality again.  To get back into the groove of the whole my needs come last thing.  But I totally missed these guys:

So while I was gone this happened.  #sandbox #somuchsand
Daddy set up the sandbox while I was gone.  Greeeeaaaaaaat.
On to the Derby!

Derby day was also Cinco de Mayo so we started the day with some tasty Mexican food:

DERBY!

Actually we started the day with a 60 mile detour because even with a Garmin, 2 smart phones, a US atlas, and a map of Ohio and Kentucky my friend and I could not pay attention to stay on the right highway.  So that happened...

Anyways!  Finally we made it to the derby and parked at the first spot we could find.  Which was about a mile away from Churchill Downs.  So we got to walk past some local attractions on the way:

DERBY!
I don't even know.
And through the big Parking Lot of Tailgate Fun:

DERBY!
DERBY!

Before finally making it to Churchill Downs:


DERBY!DERBY!

By the time we got in we were all pretty hot, tired, and done.  This helped:
DERBY!
YES.  So much YES.
The infield was pretty crazy this year but luckily not muddy.  Of course we had to get the group shot with our Mint Juleps:

DERBY!

Before placing our bets.  Sadly, I did not win anything.  Although I though that betting on Daddy Noes Best for Matt would be a sure thing.  Oh well.  We did have a really decent view of the actual race this year:

DERBY!

And got to see a solid 3 or 4 seconds of the Most Exciting 2 Minutes In Sports:

DERBY!
An actual horse running the actual Kentucky Derby.
And had a really good time just enjoying the day and the mint juleps:

DERBY!
The peak of the effects of the Juleps.  Also someone I should never be unsupervised with.

But I think the thing you really go to the infield for is the people watching.  This year it was EPIC.  First of all it's insane how much things change in 4 years..  Last time in jeans skirts we were some of the most dressed up people in the infield.  In fact everyone gave the randoms in dresses sideways glances all... what the hell?  Don't you know where you are?  This year just about everyone was in a dress:
DERBY!
Except for that guy, obviously.

Including myself, actually.  And a whole bunch of morons wore heels.  Now I"m all for rocking some kick ass shoes but not when you have to walk a mile just to get to your standing-room-only location.  That is also a field of grass.  And mud.  By the end of the day most of the heel clad idiots were walking around barefoot through piles of derby trash.  Perfect way to get scabies!  But I do find it interesting that women's fashion has moved so far to the formal.

The people watching was alot more epic than just morons in heels, though.  Check out these guys:

DERBY!

We overheard that there were 28 of these dudes in the crazy outfits.  All from Ireland.  All of the outfits were handmade.  What the what?  We were fascinated:

DERBY!
I seriously filled up my camera roll with about 15 pictures of these guys.  It's possible I was drinking.

What was really interesting was that these guys were getting ALOT of play.  Seriously.  Girls were falling over themselves to talk to them.  And their pickup line?  "Hey want to hang out with us?"  HOW DOES THAT WORK?  I really have alot of questions about the situation.

DERBY!
Also stupid pictures of it.
We finally tore ourselves away from the crazy Irishmen show and headed back to the car.

DERBY!
So. Many. People.

Overall it was a really fun day. Totally something you should do at least once.

DERBY!
Preferably for your bachelorette party.  Because that's just an awesome plan.

And we had the epic idea that next year we should have a Derby Murder Mystery Party. So that's going to happen.

DERBY!
Very excited about the whole Derby thing.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...