January 23, 2012

Cleveland Aquarium Visit

So we took our family to the brand-spanking new Cleveland Aquarium:

Cleveland Aquarium

Cleveland Aquarium

It's located in the old Powerhouse in the flats.  We actually had our wedding reception at Windows so I have a bit of an affection for this place:

Cleveland Aquarium
And lived at the Bingham in the background.  Funtimes.
The powerhouse is a really interesting building and I was excited to see it used in this way.  It's been a million and a half things since they redid it as an entertainment complex but I think this is by far the coolest:
Cleveland Aquarium

The exhibits were really well done.  My kid especially liked the "Kitty Fish" (any fish with whiskers) in the Ohio Lakes and Rivers exhibit.  And we watched the stingrays for a long, long, long, long time.
Cleveland aquarium!! #happyincle #clevelandaruarium #clevelans

One of the neatest things about the aquarium is how they use the building.
Cleveland Aquarium
Tanks are tucked in underneath brick arches:

Cleveland Aquarium

Exhibits are arranged around long, vaulted passageways:

Cleveland Aquarium

And they give you peeks at the iconic smokestacks:

Cleveland Aquarium
Cleveland Aquarium
Lobsters?  In the smokestack?  I don't quite get it but it looks cool so I'll run with it.
The interactive tank was impressive but also super crowded.  I'm going to guess that will get better with time:
Cleveland Aquarium
My kid:  I touched alot of things.  A spiny thing.  And a bug thing.  And... I didn't pet a shark.
But all of it was leading up to the grand finale.  The shark tank:

Cleveland Aquarium

It was HUGE.   The sharks were HUGE.  And had TEETH:

Cleveland Aquarium

The shark tank (and all of the tanks, actually) was really, really cloudy.  I'm told that it will get clearer with time but I'm glad we got to experience it while it was still murkey.  Made the whole thing seem unreal and extra spooky:

Cleveland Aquarium
My kid before bed that night:  "I liked the sharks but I was a little afraid that they were going to eat my brother."
The last thing before exiting through the giftshop is the underwater tunnel:

Cleveland Aquarium

It goes on for-ev-er.  In a good way.  And while everything was still murky so we couldn't see much we did have a school of stingrays swim directly over us:

Cleveland Aquarium
How. Cool. Is. This?!
My biggest complaint* is that it wasn't what I was expecting based on my knowledge of the building.  I wanted to see fishtanks set against sweeping views of the river and the flats.  Like the logo depicts:
Cleveland Aquarium
 But that never happened.  I also expected some ridiculous spaces in terms of vertical volume but that never happened either.  Everything was pretty much one story, in the basement.  They made the decision to use the old Rock Bottom Brewery as the snack shop and didn't claim any of those spaces for exhibits.  I was picturing tanks where the old brew kettles were.

Cleveland Aquarium
Why are there not giant tanks everywhere in here?  It would have been so cool!
But I'll give them a pass considering that I know nothing at all about the requirements for aquariums.  When I had an algae bloom in our sad little home setup the first thing they asked me was "is it near a window?"  So I'm guessing that on this big of a scale natural light and heat need to be really carefully controlled.  Probably not possible in a space with sweeping views of downtown.

Bummer.

Overall though it was a really cool place.  We ended up buying a membership (it pays for itself in 2 trip) and I plan on taking the kids again soon.  

Cleveland Aquarium
I liked the fish.
*Not the stroller controversy.  Seriously, people.  Not everywhere can accommodate strollers.  There are narrow hallways and big crowds.  It is not an affront to families or anti-children.  It is simple math.  Although it would have been nice if they had a coat check.  Or even the ability to run out to the car if necessary (they have a no-reentry policy).  As it stands most of the parents there looked like pack-mules (kids in carriers!  Diaper bags! Coats for everyone!  We have to carry all of the things!).

6 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun! I hope that we get to go check it out soon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! I'm so excited to bring the kiddos!!

    I'm with ya on the stroller crud, if people complain about the stroller thing anymore I may explode. It's only for a few months...geez...you'd think they have a "no kid" policy for all the griping going on.

    Glad you guys had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I can't wait to come home to Cleveland and see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks cool! I'll have to plan a trip there one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to get there! What a great thing for Cleveland! They should have a knitting day there, where you can sit and knit under the tunnel...how cool and relaxing would that be!?! Should we organize something?! For real! Let's plan it! We could rent that section, get a ton of knitters, bring potluck and have a really cool knitting night. Are you in?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like it was a lot of fun! Great photos! I love going to aquariums :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...