May 27, 2010

Awesome Pants

I don’t sew.

However, thanks to my grandma I own a decent sewing machine… but it went unused from my shower in 2004 to Halloween 2008.
Costumes worth dusting of the machine for.

But the thing is… I know how to sew.   Sortof.   My mom took the time to teach me when I was a kid. While I might not be auditioning for Project Runway anytime soon I have a basic knowledge of what a presser foot does and what a seam allowance is.  The real issue is that during these lessons my mom let me choose my own fabrics.

And it was the 1980’s.

So things like this happened:
Awesome Pants
Yes.  Those would be neon pink and green polkadot hammer pants.

Awesome Pants
With an elastic waist.

I also made a scrunchie to match. Because of course I did.
Awesome Pants

You can see why I denied all knowledge rather than admit I had the technical skills to produce something so… awesome.

Well then a few months ago I fell down and Etsy rabbithole of Pillowcase Dresses. So cute! So adorable! Obviously my child needs one STAT! I tweeted something to that effect and Kakaty replied that they were really easy to make.

Hmmmmm…..

Some quick googling revealed that there are many, many, many, many free tutorials out there. And that I absolutely had the skills required to make one:
Pillowcase Dress

I used some scrap fabric that my grandma gave me so even if it came out really awful I wouldn’t feel bad.
Pillowcase Dress

It’s not perfect. And I ripped as many seams as I sewed… but seriously with the cute.
Pillowcase Dress
It even matches the adorable shoes that her Aunt Michele got her!  Although for some reason she kept trying to chew on them.  Must be the handcrafted leather.
Pillowcase Dress
Also she's got the crazy after bath hair going.  It was the only time that she's been clean enough to put this dress on her lately.  Kid is constantly a mess.
Pillowcase Dress
Regardless I will definitely be making more of these.

Pillowcase Dress

I wonder if I have any of that neon polkadot fabric anywhere?

Pillowcase Dress
Don't even think about it, Mommy.

10 comments:

  1. so incredibly adorable! i told my MIL that i wanted one for ash in the beginning of the summer and she's since made her a couple ADORABLE tops and shorts, and one of my other friends made her a sundress, but still no pillowcase dress.. definitely jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want an adult sized one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is the dress!!!...and the shoes!!!!,,,and your little angel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously with the cute!

    And, you were not alone in the 80s. I crocheted myself an orange and white sweater. . .in really plastic yarn. . .and I wore it. . .to school even. . .yeah. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh...the 80's those were some seriously scary times. I must admit, I too had some hammer pants, loved them then, but never again.

    Your daughter, eating her shoes, in a lovely dress! Really, can you get much cuter than that?

    Do Pillow case dresses come in adult sizes?? May need to research that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK That is seriously cute!

    I had a few of those ill fated 80's outfits myself!!

    The scary thing is that when Ken and I were out to dinner on Friday night I saw a girl wearing a bubble skirt almost exactly like the one I had in like 9th grade...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is adorable and the costumes are awesome! We won't discuss the Hammer pants. For your sake. ;-)

    [Did they have velcro at the waistline, with the sides kind of wrapping in? I might have made a pair for myself and one for my ex-DH in the early 90's. But we won't discuss those, either.]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...