December 27, 2007

The land of the Two Ply Yarn

Btw I’m ignoring all of the back blogging I should be doing and instead I’m posting shiny objects. Something tells me you guys would approve.

So when I first started knitting I cranked out a whole set of hideous acrylic scarves for my then roommates. I didn’t know anything about knitting other than that I loved it. I was making something from a big ball of nothing! And I could make it sortof even! And it’s fun! And that was it. I knew there was potential but had no clue how to take the next step. I lived in the land of garter stitch scarves.

That’s where I am with spinning right now. I know how to do exactly one thing. It’s not perfect but I love it and it’s fun and magical and I want to do that one thing all the time over and over again. There’s probably a lot of potential to do lots of different things but I don’t even know what they are let alone how to do them. I’m in the land of uneven two-ply yarn.

Want to see my latest adventure?

I started with this:
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving
8oz of hand dyed Corriedale pencil roving (I now know what pencil roving is! And what a batt is! Progress!) from Crown Mountain Farms in the colorway Finding Rainbows.

I used the highly scientific and precise method of wrapping it around my arm and counting wraps to divide it into two equal-ish halves:
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving

Which I wound into center pull balls:
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving

And spun up:
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving
Christmas tree lights don't exactly make for accurate colors...

Once I had one half spun I wound it off onto a ball (I own 3 bobbins and 2 of them are occupied with the fire fiber right now):
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving

Then I spun the other half and wound that into another ball:
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving

Then plied the two together:
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving

And let it chill on my niddy noddie for a few hours:
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving
Before skeining it and gifting it to my mom for Christmas:
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving


I love the land of two-ply yarn! But I really don’t want to live here forever. So what’s the next step? Because I have 8 more ounces of this stuff to play with:
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving
The colorway is called Erie. As in the lake in Cleveland’s backyard. How could I possibly resist?

Plus lots more even more beautiful roving that I got for Christmas (including silk!)…. So yeah… I should probably learn to do something else….
Crown Mountain Farms Pencil Roving
but this is pretty fun, too.

14 comments:

  1. Wow!!! That is one beautiful skein!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH that is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yarn (and the photography) are awesome! I hope your mom loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:59 PM

    The yarn is beautiful!!! I'm trying hard not to let you tempt me into the land of spinning. Must. Stay. Focused. On. Knitting... But it sure is fun to spin vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty!! I can see why you are happy in the land of two-ply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:33 PM

    Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:57 PM

    Wow! That is gorgeous! Looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:41 AM

    Wow, your spinning is looking fantastic! I spin mostly 2 ply also, with the occasional single or 3 ply thrown in for fun. It is addicting isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unbelievable!! I am so impressed as I know zippo about spinning, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous yarn - your mom is a lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Jeanne! What talent! And what a great gift to give your mom! Hope things are going well with you! Sorry we didn't get to see ya over the holiday - we are trying to come to my cousins wedding in Cleveland which will be in July - maybe we can meet up then! Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty!!! I also live in the land of two-ply yarn. I occasionally visit the land of chain-plying - it's not nearly so pretty. Maybe I just need to visit more often. I don't have a visa to get into the land of three-ply yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:17 PM

    Wow! How am I so behind I didn't know you spin?
    Beautiful.
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...