September 18, 2007

That's the freakiest thing I've ever seen

So before I can blog about all of the amazing experiences we had I have to get something off my chest. You know when you find out something particularly nasty you can’t be the only who knows? You have to share the information or you just feel wrong? I know a lot more about childbirth than I really want to thanks to this flow of information – my friend finds out from her sister, she can’t be the only one who knows this awful, so she tells me. And somehow that makes it better. Well, this is one of those things. I know so now you have to know.

In this world there exists….

A scorpion-spider.

No really. A bug that is a cross between a scorpion and a spider. It’s like a giant spider but with pinchers like a scorpion:
Scorpian Spider
Because neither of those creatures were completely creepy enough on their own. Oh and it also has ridiculously long tentacles, just for fun.

Want a side view? (probably not but I'm going to share anyways):
Scorpian Spider
I think the fact that I wanted to spend time in the Amazon rainforest at all shows that I have a pretty high tolerance for creepy-crawly things. But a scorpion-spider?! I mean come on. Clearly freaking out and quadruple checking that the mosquito net over our bed was impenetrable was an appropriate response. Clearly.

Scorpion-spider.

Ok I feel a little better now.

15 comments:

  1. Dear LORD! Did you scream when you saw that thing? I would have. YIKES!

    OK, gotta go show the pix to my DS, he's gonna LOVE the scorpion-spider. >shivers<

    Oh, and you are SO right to share. I totally would have as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh OH OH OHHHHH OHHH EWWWWWW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that thing is soo creepy! I want to show it to my students and freak them all out!!! Now on the other hand my brother would probably think that thing was totally cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:52 PM

    Glad you're back safe and sound. Ok so are you really saying that the freakish bugs we have around here are not so bad and scarey after all?! Sure hope there is a cure all shot to that little jaws of terror.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:33 AM

    EWWWWW!!!!! That is freakishly strange and disturbing. And you're totally right, you just have to share stuff like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes!! That thing scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:55 PM

    I have to laugh - of all the amazing pics you must have taken, these are the ones we get to see 1st! That is crazy scary looking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my freakin' god...that is the most awful thing i've ever seen. i have the worst case of arachnophobia, so this thing almost made me scream at the screen. ick ick ick.

    ps - when i said i wanted to see pics from your trip, this is not what i had in mind lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please tell me that was a telephoto lens!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't need that. Not at all. In return - I give you the song stuck in my head (the theme to Welcome Back Kotter):
    Sing it with me now....

    Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out.
    Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about.

    Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
    But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

    Who'd have thought they'd lead ya
    Back here where we need ya

    Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
    Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.
    Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:58 AM

    heey i saw this spider on t.v last night it uses them tentaces for hunting . it waits for a cricket to stand infront of it and it moves the tentacle parts behind the criket and pokes it that causes the cricekt to jump forward into a big pair of pincers =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:26 AM

    Ok..Im not from your area....
    but do live in Scottsdale ARIZONA.....
    I have recently caught 3 of these SCORPION SPIDERS around my house.
    HOT and DRY..not the rain forrest

    Mine are Black in color..but identicle to your photo...

    Now deceased...thanks to a shoe...

    lived in Arizona for 35 years never saw such a thing....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:59 PM

    Tail-less whip scorpion. The zoologist Gerald Durrell famously had a pet one called Wilhelmina.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:34 AM

    I have saw much spiders of that type in the region of Apatz. Michoacan , Mexico, really are more uglyest that the photo shows, and this spiders get a big size. my first encounter with a spider of this type i think that spider have aprox. 23 cm of diameter and runs very quickly i have never seen a quickly run spider, i dont know if are poisonus but are really ugly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...